Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

Bath exhaust through outside wall

I I have 2 bathrooms in my split level ranch. They are identical small bathrooms lined up with each other (above and below). We recently bought this house and not one of the baths have exhaust fans. Between myself, my wife and 2 teen daughters, we take a lot of hot showers! I really need to add some air flow!

I plan to add a ceiling vent fan to the upstairs bath and go right out through the roof, easy peasy... But I need to vent the bathroom below it and not sure what the best way to do that would be. It is a downstairs bathroom on the gable end of the house. It seems like going out through the wall is my best and only option. I really don't have a problem with that but I'm just not sure about how to go about it. Because I live in a cold climate (Maine) I am concerned about sealing out the cold ( or letting out the warm!)

If I cut a hole through the wall, how should it be sealed up and what type of vent should I use? Of course, I'm also worried about creating a leak in the outside wall too. I don't want rain water coming into the wall. The siding is cedar. Here's a pic of the outside wall: the bathrooms are the upper and lower windows in the center...
Attached Thumbnails
Bath exhaust through outside wall-image-1477289229.jpg  
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Opening the window for a couple of minutes after a shower, will do a much better job then a noisy bath fan. I'm not a fan of bath fans, ha ha no pun intended.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Sometimes a noisy bath fan sounds better than the alternative..... Besides, when the temp outside is single digits the last thing you want to do is open a window..
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #4

Google panasonic wall fan, my Dad installed 2 of these years ago and they have been great. I think all you have to do is cut a hole and attach the inside and outside halves together, run your electrical and your done...
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Any idea on what's under that siding?
There's two way to retro fit a dryer vent.

If there's OSB or plywood under the sidng you can drill a pilot hole through the wall so you can see where it comes out and use a piece of cedar 1X to mark out a siding block to mount the dryer vent to.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=325
Another way would be to use a flush mount siding block, trouble is it looks like you have a small exposure on that siding. They make flush mounts for 4, 4-1/2, 5", and Dutch Lap siding but I've never seen on for less then 4".

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=27
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Close to retirement

If you are in snow country you'd be better off with the through-the-wall vent because if a lot snow accumulates on the roof above the vent it will seep inside.

Years ago I used to do a little home repair work and I've had lot of work repairing mold damage in baths without a fan.
JohnnyB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
I

what type of vent should I use? Of course, I'm also worried about creating a leak in the outside wall too. I don't want rain water coming into the wall.
i had one like this, its junk. landry room was always cold.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...008-c-9502.htm

i put in one that looks like this. there is a round flap cover up inside there. it seals very well. laundry room is warm now.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...024-c-9502.htm
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
Opening the window for a couple of minutes after a shower, will do a much better job then a noisy bath fan. I'm not a fan of bath fans, ha ha no pun intended.
Evidence you should not believe everything you read on the internet.

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-10-2013 at 12:16 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

If noise is a concern use an in-line fan. These fans can be sized to exhaust several bathrooms, and the motors may be mounted in the attic for quiet operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Bath exhaust through outside wall-56-0.jpg   Bath exhaust through outside wall-fh06sep_venbat_01.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (02-10-2013), JohnnyB60 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
All depends on someones past experience. I've lived in many homes with no bathroom window and a noisy 50 cfm bath fan and I've lived in homes with an opening window and no bath fan, I'll take the latter.

Also never seen one with a perfect sealing damper, hot and cold air leaks in through them when they are off.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Maybe I was a little too straight forward with that comment.

If the power company is still supplying me electricity because my bill is paid I opt for the exhaust fan.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, I'll remember that. I dont think my personal opinion of an exhaust fan is going to ruin the op's day but it seems to have ruffled your feathers a bit.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Close to retirement

Quote:
If noise is a concern use an in-line fan. These fans can be sized to exhaust several bathrooms, and the motors may be mounted in the attic for quiet operation.
Interesting I want one of these for my place. I have 3 Baths and a laundry room and it would be nice to combine them. I just don't have an easy way to get wire to a switch in the room downstairs. I wounder if there is a wireless version,

Hey hammerlane, I've been thinking about this and I may get one. What is the Name and model number of these?

Last edited by JohnnyB60; 02-10-2013 at 12:45 PM.
JohnnyB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Also never seen one with a perfect sealing damper, hot and cold air leaks in through them when they are off.

nothing is perfect. see post #7. it actually does work very well.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
seems to have ruffled your feathers a bit.
no feathers on top