Bath Exhaust Fan In Skylight? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Bath exhaust fan in skylight?

Need some feedback about installing an exhaust fan in a skylight.

The large skylight is shared directly above two shower stalls and so I need something that will rapidly take the moisture away from the light well. Our HRV vent that's mounted in the skylight now is not sufficient to rapidly take away the moisture. I can buy a Nutone/Broan humidity sensing fan and mount it on the skylight wall but the manufacturer specifically says it's for flat ceiling mounting only.

My questions are:
a) has anyone here successfully mounted one of those Nutone's in a skylight wall?
b) would damage occur to the bearings if mounted on vertical axis?

Advertisement

Daler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I can answer B. Every bathroom exhaust fan I have ever used could be mounted in any position.

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 608

Most have no bearing, just oilite bronze bushings.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
Wink

Well, poured myself a nice large tea, sat down and phoned with Nutone. Spoke to a tech rep who obviously ran across this question before. She had no hesitation in telling me that the warranty would be void if it was found to have been run vertically. Seems they can now determine a specific symptom with their new ultra low sone fans. My guess is that they are now designed to "float" horizontally on their bearing surfaces.

I won't take a chance as it is a rather tight spot in the attic to remove later. So instead I've decided to just double up on our HRV vents -- there used to be 2 separate vents in 2 separate (bath) rooms, but now they are joined into one large bath shared by a common skylight. So I will just reposition that extra vent into the skylight with the other. I would think that should keep everything dry.
Daler is offline   Reply With Quote