Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |

Basement flooded with the furnace taking in water, what should I be doing for safety?

Basement flooded with the furnace taking in water. What should I be doing for safety concern? I see some wires that are definitely going to get wet.

Bellofjdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Remodeler

Basement flooded with the furnace taking in water, what should I be doing for safety?

Shut off the gas and power to the furnace, mostly for safety concern but also damage to the electronics may be minimized if the unit has no power to it.

iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Get a sump pump. If the water gets to the gas valve, the valve must be replaced.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
Get a sump pump. If the water gets to the gas valve, the valve must be replaced.
Replies the furnace. As a contractor I called manufactures to ask for advice on flooded units. If water reaches gas valve it must be replaced.
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixheat1 View Post
Replies the furnace. As a contractor I called manufactures to ask for advice on flooded units. If water reaches gas valve it must be replaced.
Only the gas valves must be replaced, unless the board was under also and can't be dried out.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
REP

I'm pretty sure that anything that is live electyricly when it is covered in water is going to short out.
If power is shut off at the breaker panel ,and you can afford to let the unit dry out with maybe some help with a hair dryer,there is a chance nothing will have shorted out.Things like a motor with internal elec windings and such have to be very dry before putting elec back on to them.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote