Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |

Baseboard thermostats

I have a problem with baseboard thermostats. They don't seem to understand when to shutoff sometimes. Sometimes they seem to get "stuck" on, and they don't "know" when the room is warm enough, in fact it can get a room very hot at times. This is particularly annoying in that i'm a quadriplegic and 3 times this last month i've had to get out of bed to turn the sucker down cuz it was 78 % in my BR. Aaaargh! I hope someone has an answer, i thot of going digital, but for some reason that i don't understand, all these fancy thermostats won't work with baseboard....

Thanks,

Greg

gregrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Baseboard thermostats

Hey Greg. If your stats are wall stats they might be picking up some different air temps from inside or behind the wall. I've seen this happen more than once with a couple of different causes. Sealing in and around the boxes is the quick fix. i'm not sure if caulk is allowed inside the box but they make some electrical putty that would seal the holes. HS>>

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
registered

Baseboard thermostats

HMMMMMMM I assuming you have hotwater baseboard and not electric. I think its a simple fix. Replace the thermostates on the system. I understand you concern with digitals. I have hotwater baseboard. I would recomend a white rogers thermostat for baseboard heat. Its not digital thats what i have. I will try to find a pic if they have a website to show what i have.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
registered

Baseboard thermostats

Mine is the one on top. Its a heat only..I don't have central air.http://www.whiterogers.com/pdfs/04_C...Cat_pg_020.pdf

Or its this one http://www.whiterogers.com/pdfs/04_C...Cat_pg_019.pdf

I'm not sure but thats what it looks like. When you take the front cover off. There is a Class bubble filled with mercury.

Last edited by 747; 01-08-2006 at 02:00 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #5

Baseboard thermostats

Quote:
BR. Aaaargh! I hope someone has an answer, i thot of going digital, but for some reason that i don't understand, all these fancy thermostats won't work with baseboard....
I was thinking that this meant electric. HS
Old 01-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #6

Baseboard thermostats

Yes, it is electric. I did think bout insulating around the/behind the thermostats, but haven't tried it yet, guess that IS the easy thing to try. I also did notice u can put the stat on the baseboard, will that work with electric?

Thanks for the help,

Greg
Old 01-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #7

Baseboard thermostats

Greg: Aaaargh! I hope someone has an answer, i thot of going digital, but for some reason that i don't understand, all these fancy thermostats won't work with baseboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerslammer
I was thinking that this meant electric. HS
Yep, they are electric. Apparently it has to do with line-voltage vs low-voltage. It seems most programmables are designed to work with low-voltage systems. That's fine, i'm not really looking for programmable, just more for better accuracy. If I get a mercury or sumpin-membrane thermostat to replace these crappy bi-metal things, plus add some insulation around them, I might lick the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again all,

Greg
Old 01-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #8

Baseboard thermostats

Yes you can put stats on the baseboard but I think you should be able to work with what you have or if the stats are bad replace them on the wall. I would try turning off the power, taking them off the wall,( you can leave them connected) and see if you feel any drafts, cold air. Windy days could be different than calm days. You could shut the power off and move the dial back an forth. You should hear a click at the point where it turns on and off. If you think you need a new stat they should only be about 10 bucks at the electrical supply house. I just installed 4 of them in a rental and they seem to work fine. They have some single pole at the depot but if you are 240volt i would go with double pole.HS..