Baseboard Thermostat Failed? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard Thermostat Failed?

Have a wall-mounted 240v thermostat that serves 2 baseboards in the same room. Since the room is seldom used, the thermostat is in the 'off' position. The other day I was in the room and it was like a sauna. Baseboards were hot, as was the thermostat itself. Turned the breaker off and in a couple of hours the room cooled down.

This evening I turned the breaker on, with the themrostat still in the 'off' position, and in 30 minutes or so the room was warming.

Is it possible that I have a thermostat that has failed? If so, what is the recommended test procedure? The thermostat in question is an Intertherm Model 7-D. I believe this is a 4-wire stat.

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Back40Help; 01-20-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Back40Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Baseboard Thermostat Failed?

With breaker off. Remove stat from wall, look to see if any bare wires are touching. If not, and its turned off but still heating the room when power is on. Its a bad stat.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote