Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard system design and install

Hello,

New Home owner here, and compatant plumber and carpenter. But am lost (kind of) when it comes to designing the whole system.

Here is my status. Its a Levitt house built in 1949, and still has origonal radiant heat, that is starting to leak. So i am planning on converting the entire house to baseboard heat.
My boiler is in the garage and i am not looking to break up the slab to run the new pipes. I will be using 3/4 pex for cost and ease of install in the walls and ceilings.

the rooms closest to the boiler will be on one loop (the house will have 2 loops in 1 zone, and a seperate zone for the upstairs) and the rooms on the opposite side of the house will be on the same zone but a different loop because the run will have to go above the house in the ceiling (insulated below living space)

I have seen alot of systems desigined with a 1" line and then split off from there to 3/4 loops.

but i cannot find the advantages of doing this.

with proper bleeders and zone valves and gate valves for balancing is there any peoblems with running the pipe in the ceiling joists. or around doorways?

any problems with having the whole loop 3/4?

sharp shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Baseboard system design and install

leave the Levitt heat in the floor come out of the boiler and loop the entire perimeter around the entire slabbed area back to the boiler maybe a take off with a zone valve for up stairs before the first piece of slab floor baeboard.i did 8' lenghts on walls that get blasted in the winter winds baseboard covers it at 68F with no cold drafts.heat from the main floor will rise up into the 2nd level so sizing the leanghts down might be considered...just cover the 2 perimeter walls up there might be good

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote