Baseboard Registers - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Baseboard Registers

Is there any advantage in switching from baseboard registers to ceiling registers other than being able to put furniture where you want it without blocking a register?

I have a single level house with a full basement that I believe was retro-fitted with a/c. The furnace is in the basement and all ducting is completely accessible.

Thanks for the input.

Graham

Advertisement

gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Baseboard Registers

IMO furniture placement is the ONLY positive thing about overhead ducts. Everything else suffers, at least down here in the south. Running ducts through an extremely hot attic always results in heat gain on the ducts, which results in poorer cooling performance.

Advertisement

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,044

Baseboard Registers

Overhead A/C delivery systems work somewhat better because cold air drops and the system don't have to work as hard.

I wouldn't change anything because in the Winter floor delivery is the best hot air rises.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Baseboard Registers

My experience is just the opposite, but then I work in the south. We had about 10 minutes of winter last year
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,044

Baseboard Registers

I don't understand your point scott 99% of the houses I have seen in Florida are slab houses with attic air handling units.. Trying to figure out how you came up with the opposite theory. Cold air drops hot air rises.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Baseboard Registers

climates with the more sever summer weather benifit from celing registers. climates with more sever winter weather benifit from floor register. Where I live and work it is brutal in both so it is a toss up. The system show it they are done both ways and both work fine. if done right it makes little difference.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

Baseboard Registers

Ok, what about relocating it from the baseboard along a long wall to in front of the closet door where no furniture will reside? I am looking to be able to utilize the long wall where my baseboard register is instead of being stuck to one wall. My registers are not in the floor, they are in the baseboards. I think this might be a better option because the new registers will be about 6' closer to the furnace than they are now. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, so we get rough winters and fairly mild summers. Thanks

Graham
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

Baseboard Registers

should not effect much to move one vent. also dont be to concerned with furniture placement. most furniture will allow for enough air flow either around or under it. Most homes have some furniture blocking some vent in some way or another.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Baseboard Registers

I think I am going to start redoing a lot of it. I have noticed after doing some painting and taking things apart that the returns are not sealed at all, and from what I have read, they need to be sealed. All of this construction stuff is so hard to get used to after being a machinist
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #10

Baseboard Registers

Quote:
I don't understand your point scott 99% of the houses I have seen in Florida are slab houses with attic air handling units.. Trying to figure out how you came up with the opposite theory. Cold air drops hot air rises.
Obviously in a slab home you have no choice. In our area we have a lot of crawlspace-type homes, and we install a lot of package units here with ductwork under the house. In homes with a crawlspace, my experience has been that a duct system in that crawlspace works better if the home is in a hot climate. I understand that cold air drops and hot air rises, but we're talking about a very small vertical space (generally less than 10'), and either system would be able to throw air across that space effectively. So placing the ducts in a cooler environment (i.e. under the house) leads to less heat gain, and thus IMO better cooling performance.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #11

Baseboard Registers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999 View Post
Obviously in a slab home you have no choice. In our area we have a lot of crawlspace-type homes, and we install a lot of package units here with ductwork under the house. In homes with a crawlspace, my experience has been that a duct system in that crawlspace works better if the home is in a hot climate. I understand that cold air drops and hot air rises, but we're talking about a very small vertical space (generally less than 10'), and either system would be able to throw air across that space effectively. So placing the ducts in a cooler environment (i.e. under the house) leads to less heat gain, and thus IMO better cooling performance.
for me it is a toss up as crawl spaces are not as clean of an enviroment as an attic. duct systems in attics stay cleaner and seem to last longer in my area. so many crawl spaces here are wet. we are near the coast.

Code requires R-8 insulation of ducts (thats 2" if anyone did not know) ductwork that insulated seems to not gain much heat in our attics. We get pretty hot here too.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Baseboard Registers

OK let's just deal with the facts. Your house is in Chicago. is a one story bungalow with a full accessible basement. i.e., no crawl spaces or slabs to be addressed..so why address them? I live near Toronto and have lived in climates in Northern Ontario which are very similar, to Chicago so here's my advice. Don't relocate your supply air registers to the ceiling. (You could move them to the floor or further along a wall but, they should ideally be on the outside walls under the windows where possible). Moving to the ceiling will result in all the warm air staying there and much difficulty in heating comfortably. Leave the registers and the return airs at the level they are. You can purchase an "air deflector" to divert the air from under most furniture you may place over it OR you could make one quite easily to divert the air sideways. Much easier than rerouting the ducts. BTW the return air opening and duct should be able to be sealed from the basement without disturbing on main floor. If it aint broke don't "fix" it. Then it might break for sure..especially in this case.

Advertisement

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote