Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard heat clearance above floor

I installed a 5/8 inch floor over existing floor, and now the baseboard heat is really close to the new floor - probably just under a half inch. Is this safe? I live in Pennsylvania, if codes change from state to state for this. Anybody know where I can find info on this?

xbrickmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Its really not a code issue, its a performance issue. Warm air rises as it does it is displaced by heavier cold air. You may have restricted the flow of cold air into the bottom of the radiation a little. At this point, make sure the section of radiation is clean, and see if maybe there is enough slack in the piping to raise it up a little...carefuly. If it was that close to the floor to begin with, you may not notice any difference in performance now.

Check out any baseboard radiation website, and see what height they recomend. Generaly its 3-4in..

Last edited by 8 Ball; 10-04-2008 at 06:04 AM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrickmaker View Post
I installed a 5/8 inch floor over existing floor, and now the baseboard heat is really close to the new floor - probably just under a half inch. Is this safe? I live in Pennsylvania, if codes change from state to state for this. Anybody know where I can find info on this?
All new baseboard heaters have a 0 clearance design. You can put these on the floor. They have an opening near the bottom and an opening near the top. There are little legs on the bottom to keep the heater off the floor.

Check the manufacturer for installation specs. Most can be found on line if you don't have the original paperwork.

Baseboard heaters are a major cause of fires, not because of instillation but because people put cloths over them.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

8 Ball and Marvin Gardens,
Thanks for the feedback. It's a hot water radiator system; I'll get down in the crawl space and see if I can gently prop up the pipes without causing any stress. Much appreciated.
xbrickmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrickmaker View Post
8 Ball and Marvin Gardens,
Thanks for the feedback. It's a hot water radiator system; I'll get down in the crawl space and see if I can gently prop up the pipes without causing any stress. Much appreciated.
Ohhh...hot water. I was thinking electric.

Hot water never gets real hot. More than likely it will not get above 140 degrees and won't even burn paper.

If it won't go up just leave it. Hot air rises and colder air will move in to takes it's place. I have installed pex radiant heat and I put the radiators on the floor (they have feet ridges that go right on the floor, then I secure them to the wall and put the decorative panel over all that). They work great.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote