Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Baseboard covers

We are in the middle of renovating and took off those ugly slant fin covers and threw them out. My wife and I want nice covers which I see there are a few choices out there. My question is do you need that back piece that goes behind the element and against the wall? I see many places sell just the covers. I'm thinking we screwed up throwing these out...oh sh&^!! Thanks.

Something like this...http://www.missionwoodworking.com/ca...product_id=197

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Baseboard covers

Anyone? Thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,108

Baseboard covers

So in other words, you have nothing holding or supporting the baseboard heating fins right now? Or will you be installing all new baseboard heating and asking if you need them or not? If you are going to be installing all new, then I would difinitely install the complete slant/fin baseboard heating system, then put those covers in your post over them, that's what they are designed to do.

The old metal slant/fins covers you threw out had support brackets to hold heating fins in place every 2 feet or so and kept them at least 3 inches off the floor, so they will work properly. Those covers in your post are design to go over all that old slant fin. If this is not a complete new installation of baseboard heating, IMO, as long as those heating fins are properly supported every 2 feet, have some kind of metal backing going against outside wall, and off the floor at least 3 inches it maybe possible to fabricate something to make it work without the old metal slant/fin. I'm not sure. I don't know if that would be a code violation or not. Let's see what the pro's recommend.

BTW, can you post a picture so we can see what you have there?

Last edited by jmon; 05-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Baseboard covers

Sorry, I don't really know a definitive answer. Just seems to me any "back piece" must just be some sheet metal for reflecting heat outward.

If this makes sense, any sheet metal/tinning shop should be able to shape/bend them for you.
Mstrlucky74 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Baseboard covers

Maybe this belongs in the HVAC section. Your wall will absorb more of the heat if you have nothing back there. I'm sure they make sheets that reflect heat that you can put there, but there must be someone on the board who knows for sure.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorado For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Baseboard covers

I moved this to heating for you---

There is a world of hydronic heating coves available--from the simple steel ones you retired to some expensive works of industrial art.

I suggest you look for a hydronic heating supplier and pay them a visit---the experts there will guide you to covers that will work for you--

In my area Porter Supply is the best--you must have a supplier like that in your area.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,814

Baseboard covers

You need the back piece. Its what has the brackets that hold up the heating element. You can always have custom ones made up though.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #8

Baseboard covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon
So in other words, you have nothing holding or supporting the baseboard heating fins right now? Or will you be installing all new baseboard heating and asking if you need them or not? If you are going to be installing all new, then I would difinitely install the complete slant/fin baseboard heating system, then put those covers in your post over them, that's what they are designed to do.

The old metal slant/fins covers you threw out had support brackets to hold heating fins in place every 2 feet or so and kept them at least 3 inches off the floor, so they will work properly. Those covers in your post are design to go over all that old slant fin. If this is not a complete new installation of baseboard heating, IMO, as long as those heating fins are properly supported every 2 feet, have some kind of metal backing going against outside wall, and off the floor at least 3 inches it maybe possible to fabricate something to make it work without the old metal slant/fin. I'm not sure. I don't know if that would be a code violation or not. Let's see what the pro's recommend.

BTW, can you post a picture so we can see what you have there?
We are using the extg heating element and yes all backing , supports etc. where thrown out.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #9

Baseboard covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
You need the back piece. Its what has the brackets that hold up the heating element. You can always have custom ones made up though.
Can I just use some sort of tin or sheet metal as suggested in other posts? But then I need to find a way to support it.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Baseboard covers

Why not just go to a hydronic supplier and buy new pans? Why build your own?
jmon (05-16-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,108

Baseboard covers

oh'mike makes a great point. You can buy the slant/fins without the heating element - just the metal part and brackets etc., which is what you need anyway. It may even be cheaper or about the same. Then you wouldn't have to worry about fabricating something that may cost more. Not sure cost wise if it would be better to do it this way or build your own. You'll have to check out both options. Just a thought.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote