Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard air vents/ducts?

I hope this is the right forum. Hoping for some help here. Moving into a new house with plaster and lathe walls in living room and will be drywalling over it with 1/4 or 3/8. I know all the arguments of replastering but plasterer already confirmed intricate plaster job is in rough shape to save unless gutted, "just cover." Two small children so no time or desire to rip to studs etc. So I'll be doing this by leveling it out as best as possible, plaster washers, patch, extending jambs, outlets, trim etc. We'll put in new baseboards because these are rough looking, which leads to my question:

Please see pic of baseboard and air vent if I attached pic correctly. There are 3 of these vents in the room (2 heat vents, 1 return).

If i remove the vents and cut the drywall around the duct hole, I will then have a gap or difference of about 1/4 or 3/8 from the duct when I go to screw in the new vents. Can I just attach the vents to the drywall or does it need to connect to the duct? I wonder if attached to wall, that tiny little gap could cause longer term issues if the air seeps between the surfaces etc.? Make sense?

I think I may be over thinking this and can probably just attach vents to drywall... Maybe caulk drywall to plaster around those gaps before attaching vents so no air can get between the new and original wall? Thoughts?

Sorry for long winded question. I have experience with drywall but not with air systems etc.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard air vents/ducts?-image.jpg  

NikeFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Oh man, help a brother out. Views but no replies. Am I in the wrong forum?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

Without knowing exactly what you'll end up with once done you shouldn't have a problem from my experience. If in doubt you can seal around the opening with appropriate (your choice) sealant. You could also place metal flashing out to the new surface if you felt so inclined.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_squid View Post
Without knowing exactly what you'll end up with once done you shouldn't have a problem from my experience. If in doubt you can seal around the opening with appropriate (your choice) sealant. You could also place metal flashing out to the new surface if you felt so inclined.

Thank you. I felt the background info was needed as to why I was having the issue.

So, the questions come down to:

can I attach the air grill to the wall with the gap or should I extend the duct 1/4 to 3/8 inch like I will jambs and outlets?

I appreciate the response. Do they make duct extensions this small? Wondering what "metal flashing" you would us to accomplish this?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 256

They don't make something specific for this purpose that I'm aware of. You can go to your local lumber supply and buy a short roll of aluminum flashing. This material you can even cut with a good pair of heavy scissors. I suggest you cut and bend it into an L shape with the vertical of the L going into the opening and the horizontal of the L hooking over the new sheetrock. A few screws or nails or even silicone to hold it in place and you should be good.

Again, just ideas off the top of my head not seeing exactly what you've got.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

While it would be better to make a flange an extend the duct out. Caulking the gap is ok and a lot easier.