Barn/workshop Heating - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Barn/workshop heating

I have a weather tight, but not air tight barn. The room I would like to heat is 30x20x8. I would like to be able to woodwork there in the winter (temps above 20 F.) I have a small woodburning stove but that just doesn't do it. I would like some info on a relatively cheap but safe way to heat when I need it. Not 24/7 just when I want to work there. Can anyone give suggestions

Advertisement

Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

Barn/workshop heating

I am in the same situatio. I have a well insulated pole barn that I have been heating with a wood burner. I use the barn for woodworking and automotive hobbies. I am looking at a LP gas furnace, install it in the upflow configuration that way I can run a central duct along the ceiling. the only concern is the return air filter. You cannot allow the dust to enter the heat exchanger or you will have a fire hazard. I plan on installing a prefilter so that the main filter will last longer. If a prefilter is installed you would need to ensure that the temperature rise across the the heat exchanger is still in the range for the unit installed. Even if I do install the gas furnace I will most likely install a pellet stove to save on the gas budget. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

tholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Barn/workshop heating

unit heaters may be the way to go.REZNER Mfg. not sure for a barn application where lots of dust and hay may be . they are used in garages or open wharehouse
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Barn/workshop heating

I put the furnace outside....and then enclosed it to the weather..it breathes outside air for combustion and the ductwork goes thru sealed openings in the wall...you want the heat outlets down low..under windows..near the doors..accros the shop from the cold air return at the furnace...Ummmm toasty
econoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Barn/workshop heating

You might get away with an unvented propane heater. You can find some 30,000 BTU units on Northern Tool for $200. Can't use them in a confined space, but if you're uninsulated and not air-tight, it would be fine. It's no furnace, but it gets the job done. If it gets cold there, you might need two for that space though. That's a pretty big area, and if there's wind blowing in, it'll take a bit to keep it heated. Going full-on, I have a propane unit that can only keep a drafty uninsulated 16x16' space at about 50 degrees when it's 10 degrees out. But that does the trick.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Barn/workshop heating

It depends what fuel is available to you. A bigger wood stove is cheapest next to coal. If propane or natural gas is cheap/available go for either vented, or not vented, depending on how "tight" the barn is and how often you will be in there.

Advertisement

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote