Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad House ventilation ?????

I live in S. Louisiana and I have a 1975 sq. ft. brick veneer house that retains tooo much heat in the attic. When the house was built ridge vents were installed but I had vinyl soffit and fascia put on with too little perforation area. Like one perforated panel every 4 panels. I then installed two power vents on the roof with one of them being a gable power vent. I would like to open more sq. in. of ventilation to help give more breathing to the attic. On a hot 95 degree day my 4 ton a/c runs pretty hard to keep the house at 75 degrees.
I know the attic is continuing to stay over 100 degrees and doesn't really dissapate the heat until after midnight.
I want to gain some ventilation to the attic but the vinyl soffit has me stuffed up. I might add I do have at least 10 in of blown in rock wool insulation, like R 30 in the ceiling.
I know any a/c will takes a beating in this climate.
But this house doesn't stay cool for very long. I also suspect my construction grade double pane windows leak badly.
What should I do to help unload the hot air and get more cold to stay in ?
I even started drilling out the vinyl perforations bigger to give more air. Does this sound feasible ?
Thanks.
Kenny

kourso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Mechanical Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Bad House ventilation ?????

Why not just pull out the solid soffit panels and just replace them with all ventilated panels? Also make sure that the air has a clear path to the attic from the soffit space to the attic you may have to add styrofoam baffles to keep the insulation from blocking the free flow of air.

MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote