Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bad or failed heat strip. Any ideas why.

So I have a 2 ton air handler I just got going for this winter. I do not yet have the Heat pump portion of it so I was using the heat strip for my heat. I had an HVAC co. come and wire the air handler up to make sure it was done right.(so I hoped.

The heat strip is a 10kw Nordyne and it was new along with the air handler. I used it for about 3 weeks keeping the thermostat @ 73. A couple days ago I noticed cool air was coming out of the registers. Called HVAC Co. and they came out. He removed the air handler panel and 1st thing he pointed out was the control board was missing a jumper. He put it in and said that should fix the problem and buttoned it up. We checked the air and still cool air coming out. He again removed the panel and removed the heat strip and found it was burned up. The coils had broken and melted.

I asked what would cause this and he said it could be a bad sequencer or a wire.

Of course they offered to fix for the heat strip $300.00 and I passed on that offer. they did however charge me $94.00 for coming out and finding the issue.

My question is would a missing jumper be more likely to cause the failed heat strip.

50juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Not the jumper wire, no. What did it or is it supposed to jump too, from where to where?

Can you take some pics?

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

If there are sequencers than perhaps one got stuck and continued the call for heat to the strip after the blower quit. It's either that (which means you stand the chance of burning up another one until after the sequencer is replaced), a contactor to the strip which acts in the same manner as a sequencer if that is what you have or it's an air flow issue such as a blocked (dirty) filter or poor duct design.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

What you are wanting to know is if the first company is responsible for the replacement due to this mysterious missing jumper wire. No, they are not. The wire that is missing on a control board (of which I'm not even sure is missing as usually there is no jumper on control boards but rather in the thermostat) is used to bring power to both heating and cooling mode, if I'm thinking correctly.

So again, from where to where is this jumper supposed to connect to and from and can you take some pictures?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Doc, Thanks for fast reply. Here are a couple pics of heat strip. I will take pic of control board when I get home. The jumper he put in was in the thermostat control board, but Ill get the pic.

I dont have issue paying for a new heat strip if a mistake was made on there part, But if they did make an error, sucks they charged me $94.00 for less than 10 minutes
Attached Thumbnails
Bad or failed heat strip. Any ideas why.-2011-11-19_05-12-39_941.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #6

2nd pic
Attached Thumbnails
Bad or failed heat strip. Any ideas why.-2011-11-19_05-12-13_527.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Had they been the ones who purchased and then installed the air handler they most likely would not have charged you for that service call but since you had it and simply paid them to install it or wire it in then they are going to charge each time they come out. I would do the same, my company and the next as well.

Again, the wire missing has absolutely nothing to do with the element burning up. It could be that it has too much voltage to it or either of the other two circumstances previously stated, stuck sequencer/contactor or air flow issue.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #8

Here is pic of board, where he placed a jumper. Thanks for all the insight. So this doesnt occur again, what do you suggest I do to make sure all is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad or failed heat strip. Any ideas why.-2011-11-19_16-26-09_138-2-.jpg  

Last edited by 50juan; 11-19-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

pic of system overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad or failed heat strip. Any ideas why.-2011-11-19_18-55-40_839-2-.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Okay, the jumper is between first stage heat (one heat strip) and second stage heat, both strips on.

What he did was call for both strips to come on in regular call for heat, not staging first and second. They both come on in call for heat. If you really need both is another question entirely as usually first stage is more than enough. With two stage heating capability (W1 being first stage and W2 being second) you need a stat that can determine if and when you need second stage. That jumper wire is not the problem, nor is it mandatory in the manner it's wired, you were not missing anything) in any way concerning the burned up strip. However, the voltage supplied to the strips and how long it's supplied (stuck sequencer?) and/or air flow restrictions can cause the heat to simply accumulate and thus build up and burn out the strips. I see the pics of the ducts but without knowing the size of system and what the external static pressure is across the entire system (air flow measurement) and most importantly the temperature rise I can't really say why it burnt up. I would have to assume a higher than normal voltage fed to heat strips and again, how long (as in if a sequencer is stuck closed and constantly supplying voltage even after set point is satisfied and t-stat cuts the call for heat off, blower off) and/or an air flow issue.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Beenthere, please feel free to jump in at any time.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Make sure your thermostat is set up for electric heat,which brings on the elements and fan at the same time.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

The jumper did not cause the element to burn...... sometimes it just happens.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
50juan (11-21-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,690

Looks like fusible links may have blown. Fusible links are safeties to prevent more damage happening from a fire.

The missing jumper from W1 to W2 didn't cause the problem. And it being jumped won't harm anything. Don't think it needs jumped on that furnace.

You may have a low air flow issue. Or the board may have not called for the fan soon enough one time, or the relay for the strips may be stuck closed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Make sure your thermostat is set up for electric heat,which brings on the elements and fan at the same time.
This is the best method. You need an higher quality electronic tstat which has this feature as not all do. The Honeywell Focus Pro and higher end units do.