Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Is this a bad Carrier Infinity installation?

I contracted to have a Carrier Infinity ICS installed, along with a 24APA air conditioner. After installation, I have noticed a few things which make me uncomfortable:
1) Filter cabinet was not installed. Instead they are using the filter from the old furnace, which is slid into an open gap in the duct work adjacent to the furnace.
2) The owner's manual states the combustion intake air MUST come from the "outside" (i.e. outdoors, attic, or crawl space) It specifically states "It is not to be installed using indoor air for combustion." This installation is using air from a large utility room located in a finished basement.
3) The old refrigerant pipe was used, which is fine, but the black wrap had disintegrated from exposure to the elements, and it was not rewrapped. It is extremely cold to the touch.
4) The exhaust 3" PVC pipe to the outdoors is not terminated with a screened cap, which makes me think a bird can nest in it.

My questions are:
1) I called Carrier to find out if the intake air coming from the outside was all that important. They said that Carrier could not answer technical questions and that I must ask a factor authorized dealer...I called the one they recommended and he said that getting combustion air from a large utility room is fine, even if seperated from living spaces by only an interior door. Why does his answer contradict the manual?
2) Is the screened cap my problem, meaning the installer is not normally responsible for that?
3) Is this a substandard installation?
4) Are all 4 concerns legitimate?

I thank you kindly for your time!
2)

Justin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
30 year tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1990
I contracted to have a Carrier Infinity ICS installed, along with a 24APA air conditioner. After installation, I have noticed a few things which make me uncomfortable:
1) Filter cabinet was not installed. Instead they are using the filter from the old furnace, which is slid into an open gap in the duct work adjacent to the furnace.
2) The owner's manual states the combustion intake air MUST come from the "outside" (i.e. outdoors, attic, or crawl space) It specifically states "It is not to be installed using indoor air for combustion." This installation is using air from a large utility room located in a finished basement.
3) The old refrigerant pipe was used, which is fine, but the black wrap had disintegrated from exposure to the elements, and it was not rewrapped. It is extremely cold to the touch.
4) The exhaust 3" PVC pipe to the outdoors is not terminated with a screened cap, which makes me think a bird can nest in it.

My questions are:
1) I called Carrier to find out if the intake air coming from the outside was all that important. They said that Carrier could not answer technical questions and that I must ask a factor authorized dealer...I called the one they recommended and he said that getting combustion air from a large utility room is fine, even if seperated from living spaces by only an interior door. Why does his answer contradict the manual?
2) Is the screened cap my problem, meaning the installer is not normally responsible for that?

2)
To answer some of your concerns.....

IF the manual says the fresh air should come from outside then it should. Also there are other reasons it should to like safety and efficiency.

The vent is left without a screen because otherwise it could freeze up in the winter.

The filter problem would need to refer to whatever was in your contract. If you wanted a cabinet it would have a price added in.

The refrigerant lines do need proper insulation but if you wanted the whole library done it should have been in the contract.

These things being said I would never have done these things wrong and have lost jobs because of it.

Was this the lowest bid you recieved? How did you find this company? What else might not be right? Post some pics and we may be able to help more.

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not bad, horrific.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
My questions are:

Because they too cut corner. The exhaust and intake should b e in the same ressurfe zone.

The screened intake, can cause freeze ups in the winter, and cause you to havce no heatr, best not to have one.

Not a good install, in my opinion.

2)

Your concerns are legitimate. With the exception of the screen.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #5

IF the manual says the fresh air should come from outside then it should. Also there are other reasons it should to like safety and efficiency. (Thanks)

The vent is left without a screen because otherwise it could freeze up in the winter. (Thanks, that sounds logical)!

The filter problem would need to refer to whatever was in your contract. If you wanted a cabinet it would have a price added in. (I just asked for a total furnace and central air replacement, lines and all....he replied with an estimate (not a formal contract) with 4 items listed on it: furnace, AC, coil, and thermostat....everything not listed, like exhaust duct, I just assumed would be included because it was not itemized out....he ended up re-using the lines, which was OK with me)

The refrigerant lines do need proper insulation but if you wanted the whole library done it should have been in the contract. (attaching the thermostat to the wires in the wall was not specified either, but I assumed would be part of the installation.....again, there was no formal contract)

These things being said I would never have done these things wrong and have lost jobs because of it.

Was this the lowest bid you recieved? How did you find this company? What else might not be right? Post some pics and we may be able to help more. (It was not the lowest bid but I had used them before to put a lower efficiency furnace in my previous house, and liked it...I'm at work so cannot yet post pics)
Justin1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
vln
Underwriter

If there was not a contract, then you have all the right to sue, there are no binding options. You shouldn't pay until you get these corrected, no reason too, no contract.

vln is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier, furnace, infinity