Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bad Blower on Woodstove Insert?

I recently purchased a house that has a Travis Industries flush wood insert (the Perfect Fit model) in the fireplace. The first time I used it, the blower worked fine. The second time, nothing -- blower motors never kicked after several hours. Nothing since then.

The house's previous owner lived here for 9 years, so the unit is no older than that.

I removed the face of the insert and all the wires look connected. I have a circuit tester light; there is current running from the outlet and through the cord and a hot wire that runs between the two blower motors. There seems to be no current running to the rheostat/switch.

The owner's manual to the insert says that the blower only kicks on when the stove is hot. I can see two wires running underneath the firebox to what I'm guessing is a solid state thermocouple. I assume that if that device is fried then no current goes to the rheostat/switch and thus no current to the blower motors either.

Does this sound logical? Am I missing something obvious? I'm a bit suspicious that the thing died after I used it only once.

Any suggestions? I haven't found any fireplace retailers who service these inserts, and I've emailed Travis Industries directly, but no response yet.

Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bad Blower on Woodstove Insert?

sounds like that 2 wire take off that goes down is a disc that closes after the box heats up. remove the 2 wires up top coming from the bottom temperature switch and wire that back direct...probably killing the hot on the 115Vs to the rheostat...if you can and they are 115Vs unwire the leads into the motors and feed an extension cord to verify they run to get them out of the pix.they run put it all back and it then is either the temp switch down below or the rheostat is shot...if you jump the temp switch and still nothing wire out the rheostat motor should run...eliminating items is the ftrick but test those motors first.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote