Bacharach Fyrite Tech 50, Oil Fired Boiler Setup - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bacharach Fyrite Tech 50, Oil fired Boiler setup

I just bought a Fyrite Tech 50 and am using it on an older Burnam oil fired boiler which has a newish Beckett burner installed. I get visible smoke unless I have about 18% or more excess air which yields about 84% efficiency.

My understanding is one can tune for higher flame efficiency which results in more smoke which will soot up the boiler decreasing heat transfer efficiency which greatly reduces overall efficiency. It sounds like going for zero smoke is the way to go.

Do my numbers and thinking sound about right?

Thanks!
Greg

Advertisement

takoateli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

18% excess air is way too little. Set your smoke to a trace. Don't worry if it drops efficiency to 80%. maintaining 80% for most of the year is far better then having 84% for a few weeks and then dropping to 76% by the end of the year.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
18% excess air is way too little. Set your smoke to a trace. Don't worry if it drops efficiency to 80%. maintaining 80% for most of the year is far better then having 84% for a few weeks and then dropping to 76% by the end of the year.
Thanks! What number should I shoot for in excess air?

Greg
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Less then 50%. But no more the a trace of smoke.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Less then 50%. But no more the a trace of smoke.
Thanks!

I don't have a smoke test gizmo, I'm just looking at the chimney. I'm guessing you guys are going to say that's not good enough. ???

Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
Thanks!

I don't have a smoke test gizmo, I'm just looking at the chimney. I'm guessing you guys are going to say that's not good enough. ???

Thanks!

Greg
Get a smoke tester.

if you cn see smoke coming out of the chimney, you have a lot more then just a 2 or 3 smoke, and will soot up the furnace or boiler in a weeks time or less.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Get a smoke tester.

if you cn see smoke coming out of the chimney, you have a lot more then just a 2 or 3 smoke, and will soot up the furnace or boiler in a weeks time or less.
Thanks! I'll do that.

Greg
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Get a smoke tester.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Here's the follow up.

After reading what you guys wrote, and then talking with a tech at Beckett, I was convinced to get a smoke test kit. There are no shortcuts to be taken. It has proven to be invaluable. The fellow at Beckett said the smoke test kit is the most important piece of test equipment. So I found an inexpensive one and it was very revealing. You can't see the difference between a #1 and a zero smoke by looking at what's coming out of the stack. Looking for soot on the aluminum foil plug I put in the sampling hole wasn't accurate either. The smoke test kit showed me immediately when I got to zero smoke. The readings on the Bacharach Fyrite 50 show:

O2 7.6
CO2 10
Excess Air 53%
Efficiency 81.5

I can get the efficiency up to 82 and maybe a bit more only at the expense of smoke so it's not worth it.

I really think that between the two pieces of gear, the smoke tester is the most important one if you had to pick just one. You adjust the burner using the smoke test kit. The Bacharach is nice because you can see the numbers and not just wonder what you're getting.

Thanks guys. My real life experience and time on the forums has taught me to really listen to the guys in the know.

Greg
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:

Here's the follow up.

After reading what you guys wrote, and then talking with a tech at Beckett, I was convinced to get a smoke test kit. There are no shortcuts to be taken. It has proven to be invaluable. The fellow at Beckett said the smoke test kit is the most important piece of test equipment. So I found an inexpensive one and it was very revealing. You can't see the difference between a #1 and a zero smoke by looking at what's coming out of the stack. Looking for soot on the aluminum foil plug I put in the sampling hole wasn't accurate either. The smoke test kit showed me immediately when I got to zero smoke. The readings on the Bacharach Fyrite 50 show:

O2 7.6
CO2 10
Excess Air 53%
Efficiency 81.5

I can get the efficiency up to 82 and maybe a bit more only at the expense of smoke so it's not worth it.

I really think that between the two pieces of gear, the smoke tester is the most important one if you had to pick just one. You adjust the burner using the smoke test kit. The Bacharach is nice because you can see the numbers and not just wonder what you're getting.

Thanks guys. My real life experience and time on the forums has taught me to really listen to the guys in the know.

Greg
Ayuh,... Good read,... Where'd ya find it, 'n what'd they call it,..??

Got a part number maybe,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:

Here's the follow up.

O2 7.6
CO2 10
Excess Air 53%
Efficiency 81.5

Greg
often I set flame by eyeball first. Then set breech draft and then set over fire draft. After that check smoke and adjust for/to trace. Then check efficiency, very little adjustment to make if both drafts are correct.

Good to hear you got a smoke tester. They are a real eyeball opener.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Good read,... Where'd ya find it, 'n what'd they call it,..??

Got a part number maybe,..??
It was less expensive than the Bacharach.

MITCO N27-16M Smoke Check Combustion Smoke Pump Tester with Paper and Scale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200855061018

Advertisement