Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

AUX HT on Thermostat

The AUX HT Came on my thermostat, my unit seems to keep running, what is this, and should I be worried about it? Should I put it on EHeat instead for some reason? It is pretty cold outside (in the low 20's). My unit is not that old, is there a problem? Please help!!

Last edited by m_nastasi; 02-05-2009 at 10:27 PM.
m_nastasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #2

AUX HT on Thermostat

Not to worry. A heat pump needs auxillary heat at these temps. Switching to Emergency Heat will cost you a bundle in heating costs. The system is operating as it should.

mjbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #3

AUX HT on Thermostat

Oh ok, well that is comforting to hear, don't know much about HVAC (obviously). Glad that you mentioned to not switch it over to EHEAT, because my bill is already at $250 a month. Thanks, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #4

AUX HT on Thermostat

$250 is a lot. You should have a check up to make sure your unit is operating efficiently. It's possible that the Aux. Heat( AKA Emergency heat) is running when it shouldn't.
chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #5

AUX HT on Thermostat

Yeah I know it is, used to it lately. I always thought it was normal for 2150 sq ft (heated). I figured that it was about due for a check up anyways. Just paid for a new roof, so just regretting the HVAC service tech telling me I need a new system, or something needs to be fixed and costing me even more $$. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #6

AUX HT on Thermostat

chard has a point. Where do you live and what is the total square footage of your home? Do you require electricity (no gas) to operate all needs of the home? I still believe that if the auxillary comes on in the low 20's only, then your system is working properly. Just my own personal experience with my heat pump.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

AUX HT on Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_nastasi View Post
Yeah I know it is, used to it lately. I always thought it was normal for 2150 sq ft (heated). I figured that it was about due for a check up anyways. Just paid for a new roof, so just regretting the HVAC service tech telling me I need a new system, or something needs to be fixed and costing me even more $$. Thanks for the advice though.
It may cost money to have it fixed properly, if that's what it needs, or would you rather keep paying $250 a month for electricity. Either way you're paying. Maybe you should start saving.
chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #8

AUX HT on Thermostat

I live in Eastern North Carolina. 2158 is the actual heated sq ft....electric only around here....now that you mentioned it, yeah I do recall it coming on once before when it was freezing outside (like in the teens). I originally thought that i had to replace the filters, until I looked it up. But I do know that it does tell me to replace filter for that now. Just trying to get used to this digital thermostat. Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #9

AUX HT on Thermostat

I live in Roanoke Rapids, NC and average $180.00/mo. in a totally electrified home of 2500 sq ft in January and February. So you might be paying more than you should. So it might be a good idea to at least have the heat pump inspected. One other note: make sure you seal off those crawlspace vents in the winter months. You will feel a difference immediately and in all likelyhood, cut down on heating costs.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #10

AUX HT on Thermostat

Thanks mjbxx, and chard, I am going to schedule a service tomorrow. Don't have crawlspace vents (concrete foundation and attic only), but if i did that's still good to know. My bill used to be around 150-180, but not this past year. Kind of thought that it is getting that time for a service, just was worried about that code in the beginning. Thanks for all your help guys!!