Automatic Window Opener Wiring For HVAC - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 10

Automatic Window Opener wiring for HVAC

Hello all, I wish I'd found this site a long time ago!
I was hoping I might find an answer here, but haven't found any yet for this particular situation. My apologies if this isn't in the correct section.
My situation is that I'm rewiring my house for automatic attic and house ventilation during the summer. I have it nearly completed (And let me tell you it's working much better than I planned ), but have 1 issue remaining... automatic opening of a vertical sliding (standard double-hung) window when my house fan kicks on.
My problem is that I will have 2 wires going to the window. #1 always live (with 12v) if I want the window to open, and #2 always live if the window should be closed (#1 or #2 is constantly hot). My plan was to install a linear actuator on the window, but I fear it would burn out by running power constantly. Does anyone have any ideas that would supply power to the actuator for a set time period (lets say 30 seconds) when power is first detected on a line? or any other options that I've missed?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

inzzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
You talking to me?
Rewards Points: 6,290

Automatic Window Opener wiring for HVAC

you can get a timer or you could utilize a 3 wire control with micro-switches to disengage the drive one the window was open or closed as desired. That is basically what a garage door opener uses to stop when the door is open or closed/

nap is offline   Reply With Quote