Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

Automated winter/summer damper?

I have a system that requires a different position for one of the dampers for winter and summer - fully open for summer (A/C) and about 50% open for winter (heat).

What can I use that is either automated or at least can be controlled by an electrical signal (24V or 110V) to switch the damper from one position to the other? I have seen some motorized dampers, but they are all spring return, i.e. they go to one position when powered, then return when unpowered. That won't work for me. I think I need something like a bidirectional motorized damper - it would be powered to one position when cooling takes place, and to another position when heating - is there such an animal?

lyonkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

eard series from honeywell has adjustable stops can be power open or close.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the lead. But it looks like it's another one of those power on / spring return dampers, which means I either need to give it power the entire season (to keep it open), or to have it open every time the system comes on. I don't like either of these, I was looking for something that would move to one position when I power it one way (e.g. with heating) and then stay there until it gets powered the opposite way when the cooling comes on.

In other words, thermostat's call for heating energizes the damper motor to move to one position, and stay there. Then when the seasons change, call for cooling energizes the damper motor to move in the other direction, and stay there. Etc etc.

I would think some zoning equipment works that way, but I have zero familiarity with zoning .
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

the little bit of power these use when powered what difference would it make? otherwise, if you only have to move it 2 times a year, how hard is it to actually manually move it?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
the little bit of power these use when powered what difference would it make? otherwise, if you only have to move it 2 times a year, how hard is it to actually manually move it?
I agree on both counts, and it won't kill to me to drag my butt up into the attic twice a year to manually move the damper . I was just wondering if there was a way around it with some fancy electronic devices.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Experienced

How inventive are you?

You could rig one of these you would need to build a bracket to mount it to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-Modutr...item45f806254e

Mark
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
How inventive are you?

You could rig one of these you would need to build a bracket to mount it to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-Modutr...item45f806254e

Mark
Yeah, something like this is what I was thinking. This particular one is a spring return model though, which I don't think I want. I could adjust it to be fully open for AC, and to be half closed for heat, but then it would cycle every single time the heat came on, and then return to fully open when the heat went off. That's too much cycling, I just want it to move once when the seasons change. I do see that they make non-spring return models, and perhaps those would work. Although it looks like I would need to get transformers, control boards, etc, which is probably going to become a huge can of worms. Why is nothing simple (other than my current mechanical damper )?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
Yeah, something like this is what I was thinking. This particular one is a spring return model though, which I don't think I want. I could adjust it to be fully open for AC, and to be half closed for heat, but then it would cycle every single time the heat came on, and then return to fully open when the heat went off. That's too much cycling, I just want it to move once when the seasons change. I do see that they make non-spring return models, and perhaps those would work. Although it looks like I would need to get transformers, control boards, etc, which is probably going to become a huge can of worms. Why is nothing simple (other than my current mechanical damper )?
I sent that to you as an example, they do make 120 volt driven both ways, keep your eye open on ebay as they are expensive from Honeywell ($400-$500), then tie it to a light switch.

Mark
lyonkster (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
I sent that to you as an example, they do make 120 volt driven both ways, keep your eye open on ebay as they are expensive from Honeywell ($400-$500), then tie it to a light switch.
Thanks, that's a good tip! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a bi-directional one!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

I found the perfect solution:

http://retrozone.com/Catalog/mechanical_dampers.htm

Powered in both on and off directions, fully adjustable stops, near -zero power consumption at stops, all under $100.