Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Auto isn't working on my system

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my system, and I am hoping that someone can give me a little insight.

If I have "auto" enabled the system just wont fire up. I have to manually switch to "on", and then set the panel to either "heat" or "cool".

I have installed a new thermostat so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I was wondering if there is another switch at the boiler end of things.

This is an OLD system. Here is a pic of what I considered might be the source of the problem. (shouldn't this be better enclosed???)

And advice would really be appreciated.

Hugh

hugh71158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Does your stat use the same button to select 'auto', 'heat', or 'cool'? If so, the 'auto' refers to automatically switching between heating and cooling, not the fan. In this case, there would be another switch to control the fan.

On my stat, the auto position will not 'fire' up the heat unless there is (at least) a 10 degree difference between the 'heat' and 'cool' setpoints. This could be your problem.

If so, just put the stat on heat when you think you will need it.

V

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Does your stat use the same button to select 'auto', 'heat', or 'cool'? If so, the 'auto' refers to automatically switching between heating and cooling, not the fan. In this case, there would be another switch to control the fan.

On my stat, the auto position will not 'fire' up the heat unless there is (at least) a 10 degree difference between the 'heat' and 'cool' setpoints. This could be your problem.

If so, just put the stat on heat when you think you will need it.

V
Hi,

thanks for the reply. No, it's different buttons.

The FAN button gives me the option of AUTO/ON
The SYSTEM button gives me the options of OFF/HEAT/COOL

So it I have the FAN set to ON then of course it runs constantly. If I set it to AUTO, it doesn't kick in.

Hugh
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

What the auto position does is allows the fan to come on when the thermostat calls for heat or cool. In heating mode there is often a short delay before this happens....in cooling mode it often happens immediately.
Are you saying that when the unit is calling for heat the burners come on but the fan doesn't? I'm not exactly sure what issue you are having.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8

Thermostat may not have been set up correctly in its installer set up menu.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-28-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

if "system switch" doesn't have an AUTO setting then you don't have it to do that...the jumper has to be between Rc-Rh for AUTO when you have an auto setting the way that is mounted is ok with the 24V sides exposed just the line side has to be 1900 covered as it is
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check in the morning (late here now) but I think that the burners come on, but not the fan. I'll double check that though.

I actually thought it was an issue with the thermostat, and I replaced it. But still the problem exists. So, if I set the timer, when the trigger time rolls around, nothing happens.

Right now, if I want heat I have to with to HEAT, and turn the fan to ON.

I really appreciate the replies, I'll have another look tomorrow and post my findings.

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

There a few different types of controls that turn on the fan in a heating system. One is a fan / limit switch. It turns the fan on upon heat rise. There are types which do not rely on heat, they are timed. A model number and some pictures wouldn't hurt. I suspect that furnace is not that new. Any chance there is a schematic somewhere...perhaps on one of the removable panels?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Thanks again for the replies!

Missouri Bound - not sure if this is the schematic you mean, but I did find something. Here are another couple of images showing thermostat wiring etc.

Thanks so much!

Hugh

Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #10

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #11

If anyone has any ideas on this I would really appreciate it. Leaving the country in a few days for two weeks, and I'd like to resolve this so the wife and children are all set with auto heat.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #12

call a service company if you really care about the family as it sounds like the fan limit is broken .I know this is a DIY site but sometimes we need to know when we are in over our head and call a pro. it is NOT a fix but in the thermostat set up you can set it to bring on the fan with a call for heat repeat not a fix

Last edited by mrairflow; 11-09-2012 at 04:56 AM.
mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh71158 View Post
If anyone has any ideas on this I would really appreciate it. Leaving the country in a few days for two weeks, and I'd like to resolve this so the wife and children are all set with auto heat.

Thanks!!!

It's time to call in a HVAC pro. You want your family safe and you don't want to have to worry while you are gone. It's cheap insurance to have it fixed correctly now, rather than wait.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
weinstall.ca

<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Looks like the limit, please call a professional</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><A href="http://www.weinstall.ca">www.weinstall.ca</A></P>
<P>
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Does your stat use the same button to select 'auto', 'heat', or 'cool'? If so, the 'auto' refers to automatically switching between heating and cooling, not the fan. In this case, there would be another switch to control the fan.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>On my stat, the auto position will not 'fire' up the heat unless there is (at least) a 10 degree difference between the 'heat' and 'cool' setpoints. This could be your problem.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>If so, just put the stat on heat when you think you will need it.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>V
</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #15

Ok, so you guys are stars - I think your assumptions were spot on!

And so, I decided to call in a pro - but I think that this has led to a little disappointment

As I am leaving to pick up my kids from school, a guy arrives. Fifteen minutes later my wife is calling me to say that we are pretty much in mortal danger if we run the system!

Now, it is an old system, no doubt. But it runs - and the motor was changed a year ago. We have the house smoke alarms fitted with carbon monoxide detection, so that isn't worrying me.

I asked how much it would be to just fix the current issue - $600 - $700!!! Really???!!!! I honestly cannot see how that amount of money could be spent to replace a faulty switch. Am I missing something?

Anyway, the guy was still there when I got back, and when pressed gestured to the general direction of the issue (the pic below) But he was clearly looking to have me spend 4k on a new system.

I am thinking it's the item on the left that's the problem. Anyone have any input?

So that's my story - I definitely felt that I was being led somewhat.

Hugh

EDIT - he also said my thermostat was faulty - not sure how he arrived at that, but it's only 6 months old. I know it could still be a dud, but odds are against it. Turns out, his new system comes with a thermostat! Awesome, huh?

Last edited by hugh71158; 11-09-2012 at 09:42 PM.