DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   attractive floor vents that don't compromise air flow? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/attractive-floor-vents-dont-compromise-air-flow-155957/)

strategery 09-05-2012 06:30 PM

attractive floor vents that don't compromise air flow?
 
I'm in the process of having a new ductwork system put in. A complete tear out and replacement, new design, new everything. I'm told that the wood grates I have now compromise airflow. Problem is, the light oak color goes perfectly with my wood floors and I really don't want to put in some less attractive vents.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Evstarr 09-05-2012 06:35 PM

You'd have to upsize the ducts to get back the restriction.
Or at least the boots.

joecaption 09-05-2012 06:35 PM

Since we do not even know what your's look like it's hard to say.
Did they also offer to sell you some new one at an added cost?
Lowes and Home Depot both have a whole display of brass, metal, and wooden defusers.

strategery 09-05-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Since we do not even know what your's look like it's hard to say.
Did they also offer to sell you some new one at an added cost?
Lowes and Home Depot both have a whole display of brass, metal, and wooden defusers.

They didn't offer to sell new ones. They just recommended I replace my wooden ones with regular metal ones. They claim the wood ones restrict airflow.

beenthere 09-06-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

They claim the wood ones restrict airflow.
They are correct.

COLDIRON 09-06-2012 07:25 AM

I can see the wood product restricting some air flow it can't be that much more. Flow measurements would have to be taken to see the difference.
I would use whatever I liked that look good and matches the decor.

angelatc 09-06-2012 07:33 AM

IF you're the crafty type, you could use the metal type and paint a faux wood finish on them.

COLDIRON 09-06-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelatc (Post 1004258)
IF you're the crafty type, you could use the metal type and paint a faux wood finish on them.

Quote removed due to non related text......

beenthere 09-06-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLDIRON (Post 1004252)
I can see the wood product restricting some air flow it can't be that much more. Flow measurements would have to be taken to see the difference.
I would use whatever I liked that look good and matches the decor.

20% minimum reduction in air flow for the least resistive wood floor supplies. 40% on many of them.

A 4X10 metal often needs to be increased to a 4X14 wood to get the same air flow.

Daugela 08-09-2015 07:32 PM

I know this thread is super old, but I came across it during a search of my own issues involving an HVAC upgrade. I took off all of my custom wood floor registers and REALLY noticed a difference in the coolness of the house.

I'm not kidding!!

user_12345a 08-09-2015 07:37 PM

You can get plastic registers which look like wood and seem to flow air even better than the stamped metal ones.

http://www.floorregistersonline.com/...ta-01.jpgp.img

Daugela 08-09-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user_12345a (Post 2354826)
You can get plastic registers which look like wood and seem to flow air even better than the stamped metal ones.

http://www.floorregistersonline.com/...ta-01.jpgp.img

Really?...I'm looking for galvanized ones to give an industrial look, but nobody sells them. How are the plastic ones better? Seems the thin metal slates at the most efficient. Out here in AZ, nobody sells the 6x10 since nobody has floor registers. Need to find online.

user_12345a 08-09-2015 09:12 PM

I don't know if they're better than stamped metal.

I assume that the stamped registers aren't the greatest - non-stamped metal would be ideal.

Technow 08-10-2015 01:44 PM

The big box stores sell brass restrictive floor vents and filtrete filters....and everyone calls the AC contractors theives....... :)

SPS-1 08-10-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daugela (Post 2354818)
I took off all of my custom wood floor registers and REALLY noticed a difference in the coolness of the house.

Doesn't seem make sense. Your AC will keep running until your house reaches the temperature on the thermostat. If you didn't change the setting on your thermostat, how can your house be cooler?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.