Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Hvac Pro

Share |

Attic work

Here ia a scary story but true for all the guys who do work in attics. My Boss showed me some safety articles he got and apparently guys have been shocked/electrocouted in attics because of some of the lousy/creepy/slipshod hanging wiring you see in some touching the ductwork and making it live. The the tech brushes up against it and gets shocked. Scary to think that you should have to carry a non contact voltage tester and touch it to the ductwork and water lines etc to see if they may be live.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 03-17-2013 at 09:12 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
DIY staff

Attic work

I met the widow of a cement finisher --he hit some open wires with his back while troweling a crawl space.

Be careful---and look out for the other guys work-------
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Attic work

I actually got shocked by a A/C disconnect one time. Someone had grounded a septic pump to a junction box that led to the disconnect. The pump went out and they simply removed the pump, wire nutted the wires off & left the wire laying in the yard.

From sitting exposed the insulation on the wires deteriorated causing the hot wire to short to the ground wire. However the house had settled which caused the peice of conduit running to the disconnect to pull apart about 10 feet from the breaker box. So the entire piece of conduit from where it seperated all the way to the disconnect was hot & when I touched it I got a good jolt.

Took me forever to figure out what had happened, then I still had to fix their A/C.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Attic work

I posted this a long time ago but it is relevant and may save a few lives again. If you EVER see a condensor fan running slowly or backwards DO NOT touch the metal of the condensor. I had a shorted compressor where it shorted to the shell and that completed the circuit to ground enough to let the compressor to try run and with a dual capacitor and if you study how a condensor fan is wired it can also allow the fan to try run. It did not draw 30 amps fast enough to trip the breaker and if I touched the condensor I would have become the ground and died. Shortly after that the fusite plug blew out and all the oil and freon shot out and could have burnt me so never stand in front of a fusite plug with the cover off either. When I see one of those slow runnng fans the first thing I do is check the capacitor AND check the compressor to see if it is grounded to its shell. Have had this happen twice so far.

Last edited by yuri; 03-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Attic work

I was doing some work up there with a helper. A can light got him, he fell forward face first into the a/c plenum and that knock, his face hitting the a/c, knocked the wire loose from him. I ended up having to rewire a set of cans live.

he was alright but that was the end of the day for him.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Attic work

I've also see it twice yuri. Both times the compressor was shorted to ground and they had one of those contactors with a shunt on one leg. Calls were for ac running in the winter. The motor windings have enough resistance it didn't pop the breaker.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Attic work

I know. And it seems like all the manufacturers are using those contactors now. Was really weird that call. Unit running the fan slowly and no cooling. Joe hacker did not put a disconnect by the AC so I could not shut it off safely. Went downstairs and the double breakers were not locked together by Joe hacker either so they did not trip. Shut them off, reset them and by the time I went outside she blew the fusite plug and oil and burning freon/oil/ phosgene gas is shooting out the front of the compressor and the customer is not looking too impressed. Wonder how much this is going to cost now he is thinkin. I told him the unit was over 20 yrs old, shot, had a burnout now and not worth repairing and sold him a new unit. 2nd time was a over 20 yr old old school Keeprite unit under a deck with a slow running fan and I was not gettin with 3 feet of that sucker.

Last edited by yuri; 03-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.