Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Attic insulation questions.

Now that you guys helped me whip my furnace back in shape its time to move onto my next project.

I want to add more insulation to my attic because last year it seemed that the snow melted off the roof fast and I had lots of ice cicles, and after having a look up there I can see why.

I want to use the original insulation that has a paper barrior facing down (lays on the bottom agienst the dry wall), however at first it looked kind of spooky to me because it was white. I thought maybe it had asbestoes in it, however after rolling some back I see that its "Flameproof Cotton". I am custious as to the R rating on this stuff, so I went out and purchased some R30 unfaced insulation to lay on top and to fix the other areas where the previous owner did a poor job.

I was also wondering if the white stuff they have packed into the corners is worth a darn? Is that how it should be? I am talking about the edges where the roof meets the rafter boards. Seems they balled up some kind of wool or cotton and stuffed it in there.

I also noticed that there was a very poor job done insulating the furnace ducts. Some areas are leaking a little now that the furnace is running. Could I use duct tape on them areas and re-insulate the tubes?

Another question was that I have a lot of black peices of cardboard up there. I have no idea where they all came from, however they seem to have placed them around the ducts.

Any good advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Attic insulation questions.-ins3.jpg  
Attached Images

SELLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You might want to check with an hvac guy to see if your ducts could stand a little repair....but yes, duct tape will work, and they should not leak before you place insulation. Nothing wrong with the cotton, but cellulose works better...you might consider getting a blower and adding several inches or a foot on top of what you have...you might be very surprised.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #3

I would consider the cellulose, however I have already purchased the Owens Corning Pink Pather "Roll" type unfaced R-30.

I can put the pink panther stuff on top of the cotton cant I?

Also can anyone tell me about that white stuff with the pink plastic backing? What the heck is that stuff? They stuffed it in all the joyces (sp?) and I am not even sure if I am using the correct term, in addition to the mispelling of the word.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

The pink plastic is just another vapor barrier. If you can return the fiberglass, you should. Cellulose outperforms fiberglass hands down, and laying it on top of the cotton will show very little gain.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The pink plastic was used to cut down on fibers during installation
It has lots of little holes in it - so it does breathe
I have it in between my 1st floor & 2nd floor - R25 (Miraflex) - discontinued

They now have it in R30 at HD (in plastic), they do not seem to call it the same thing
Search on their site did not turn it up
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

Thanks Scuba Dave, do you think that white stuff with the pink plastic backing is better than the Owens Corning R30? Should I leave it packed in the corners like that? I just recently had to move around a bunch of stuff in the atic so I can lay down this new stuff. I know the other guy suggested Cellulose but I got this fiberglass R30 for 9.00 a roll! I got 21 rolls too.

Doing the attic has been more work than I thought. My legs are sore the next day from having to squat down up there.

In case anyone was wondering HomeDepot had a sale on R30 Fiberglass insulation. A whole roll was only $9.00, down from the regular price of $19.99.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

The white stuff is R25 so its still good, with or without the plastic
I saw the R30 at HD, good price - I ended up getting the pastic cased since its going in my bay window/floor/ceiling
I did not check the total length on the reduced price rolls
A lot of times they are shorter rolls - which is part of the decreased price

I use my "older" insulation (if lower Rvalue) for smaller spaces & double coverage
I added the R25 over some exiting R19 by my front entrance
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

Before you add more insulation, caulk or spray foam every electrical and plumbing penetration into the attic. There are many. Also, get a cover for your attic hatch or stairs. Then, the extra insulation will actually help.

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote