Attic Insulation Over Existing Plywood & Keep Some Storage? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Attic Insulation over existing plywood & keep some storage?

I have a small attic over 2 bedrooms and a bath. Right now there is r19 in the ceiling and would like to roll R38 over the top of it to increase the insulation. There are two catches....

*I put plywood down over the R19 to use as storage, but I dont need nearly that much storage and would like to save on energy, can I just roll it over the plywood? (It's the ham in my insulation sandwich).

*I would like to keep a small portion un insulated (R19 already in ceiling) over about 50% of one bedroom so I can store larger items (doors and such). Will this defeat the entire purpose or will it mostly result in heat loss in the one room?

Unrelated question. I would like to install 4000W in-wall forced air electric heaters in each bedroom as the primary heat upstairs (they are about 300 sq ft each). I don't need "AFCI" double pole breakers do I? Will this be enough heat?

Advertisement

chazman113 is offline   Reply With Quote