Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #1

Share |

attic install feedback

Bryant unit installed in attic in a two story home in Ohio. I am trying to save a couple bucks this winter, so any suggestions are welcome

Thanj you
Attached Images

brianxmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

attic install feedback

What are you wanting to know? And what is that duct set up in that box thing sitting on top of the furnace?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

attic install feedback

4 upstairs bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. 1 return and supply in bedroom #1, 2, & 3. 4 supply and 2 returns in bedroom #4. Approx 1800 sqft. Suspended flexduct in atticspace.

I am questioning how to make the system more effective.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

attic install feedback

Is there a return in every room?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #5

attic install feedback

Yes. A return is located in each room and the hallway that connects them all.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

attic install feedback

And the box on top of the furnace is a return plenum then, right? All return ducts going to that box? It's fixed onto the top and there's a hole cut in the (top) side of the furnace.

Just getting that out of the way.

Is there anything abnormal in the system's operation as it stands right now? Is it having trouble cooling or maintaining a certain temperature?

A standard servicing would include cleaning both the evaporator coil and the condenser coil for proper heat extraction by way of proper air flow. Then you can also make sure there are no air leaks anywhere and if there are you can use Mastik sealant to seal that.

Once proper air flow is verified and proof positive that as many air leaks (if any) are sealed then you can have the system's charge checked. I think I see a txv so it'd be charged by subcool.

There are stryafoam blocks made specifically to sit that furnace on if you want to replace whatever is broken under there.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

attic install feedback

Those are pump ups under the furnace. Used mostly to raise the outdoor unit of a heat pump above snow line. But often used to raise/support a furnace or air handler in an attic install around here. Looks like they all should be replaced on that one.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #8

attic install feedback

Doc. You have discribed my system exactly. I had the unit serviced about a year ago. Should i have it done again this year? The far bedroom is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I am thinking i could adjust the dampers to increase comfort.

I have sealed some of the supply ducts with rated foil tape and am planning on hitting the rest with mastic.

My longer term goal is to air seal the duct registers, vent pipes, fixtures, etc from the attic floor/2nd floor ceiling. Once finished i would like to add blown in insulation to go from r30 to r60. Any benefit with unsuspending some of the flexduct and burying it with blown in?

Thank you for the feedback
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

attic install feedback

I replaced 3 of the pump ups with 4" pvc pipe. Understanding it is bandaid solution i will be looking into the stryofoam that doc suggested.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

attic install feedback

Down here you have to have the ducts suspended, won't pass inspection if on the attic floor. Reason being is if they're on the floor (even under blown insulation) than the heat rising from underneath it can still cause the duct to sweat.

Is that R-6 or R-8 insulation on those ducts? New city code down here requires all duct work to be R-8, thicker than R-6.

I think up in the air is best even if just for air flow reasons such as less crimping of the ducts.

The only way to know if you need cleanings is to open up the coil and look at it. You can simply look at the outside condenser coil, the inside you need to open up the evaporator.

I think you pretty much have a good handle on things.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

attic install feedback

Thanks for the feedback and validation that i am on the right track - much appreciated. Ducts are r-6. Ill climb back up there in the next couple days and check the condition of the coil etc... plus i have a couple other problem areas of the house the are worth investigating. The builder held the home in inventory for 4 years before i purchased it about 3 years ago...so i have discovered a host of shortcuts and deferred maintenece items that have been insightful and expensive to remedy thanks again!