Attic Fan - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Fan

I want to test the use of an attic fan by temporarily installing a fan in the ceiling of my garage where there is an existing access panel, blowing the attic air into the garage and venting the hot air outside by opening the large windows in the outside walls of the garage. The garage attic is common to the rest of the house. Why do it this way? well I am not sure that I have enough roof vents to justify an attic fan so before I start breaking stucco and cutting extra vents into the roof I at least want to test if the fan will work in my single story house. Total idiot or does this make sense for a test?

Advertisement

Last edited by Speedbird; 08-31-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Attic Fan

like you said just a test. You will still need attic intake vents, there must be a way to replenish the air the fan has removed. if the vents cant keep up with the air being removed then the fan is going to chatter and vibrate and burn out prematurely.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Attic Fan

I'm working on a test sorta along the same lines right now with my attic.

I picked up a wireless weather station and have the remote up in the attic. Keeping notes on attic temps, outside temps, and sun conditions to give a base for when I improve my soffit vents which I think are half clogged by poorly vented siding.

You could try the same thing and take temps with the fan off and then on and see what difference it makes.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Fan

Well my test attic fan idea worked as I am able to pull my attic temp down from 120 to ambient without to much trouble. I am going to install it permenantly. Next question is my whole house fan. At what time should I turn it off when the inside and outside temps are the same or just let it run?

Thanks
Speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150
Lightbulb

Attic Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
Well my test attic fan idea worked as I am able to pull my attic temp down from 120 to ambient without to much trouble. I am going to install it permenantly. Next question is my whole house fan. At what time should I turn it off when the inside and outside temps are the same or just let it run?

Thanks
I recently had a home energy audit and my consultant wasn't a fan (no pun intended) of either the attic fan or whole house fans. He stated that they are a work around for the actual problem. An attic that doesn't have proper ventilation, attic not sealed, and/or inadequate insulation. Oh, and your not supposed to use blown in fiberglass. He says that it looks "nice and fluffy white" but that cellulose is a better product. Suggested 4" over the nice and fluffy in my attic.

Back to the subject at hand. If you continue with both of these projects, I'd consider taking efforts to seal and insulate these come winter. Depending on where you're from.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Attic Fan

I would blow the air into the attic from the garage instead of vice versa. If you blow the attic air into the garage you will have some insulation on your cars or whatever you have in the garage simply because the moving air will stir up some insulation particles into the attic air stream. Blowing it the other way, into the attic will avoid this and do the same job of cooling the attic.

Advertisement

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote