Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

Attic a/c unit water in insulation

We are new home owners. The home is 5 years old. It has a central AC UNIT exchanger in the attic. There is a large square duct structure coming out of one side. The sliver insulation wrapping is retaining a lot of water on the bottom of this square duct. There is a metal drain pan under the unit and it has a lot of water in it.
HELP, how to fix this?

attached are pics of the waterlogged ac , it is leaking outside of the drip pan

second ac pic

posted two pics, can send more
Attached Thumbnails
Attic a/c unit water in insulation-2010-06-26-11.42.00.jpg   Attic a/c unit water in insulation-2010-06-26-11.42.42.jpg  

foyjohn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

The drain for the AC coil which is installed at the top of the furnace is probably plugged. Remove the hose blow thru it and clear the drain with a bottle brush or suck it out with a shop vac. Have a couple of pails ready as when you remove the hose a couple of gallons of water may drain out of the coil.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

if your a righty take your left palm and put it up against the trap coming out of the air handler then take the screwdriver handle with that right and tap along the lower trap area might be so slime there..if you don't have a clean out line coming up might have to access the coil to check the pan probably it is slimed up.both sides of the A coil
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Thank you both, will take your advice and post what i find !

Will I need to replace the soaked insulation around the metal duct coming out of the unit? Concerned about mold.
ironman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

I would. May be able to find it at HDepot or a local sheet metal shop. The tinfoil tape HDepot has.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #6

Exclamation

Okay,
Is there supposed to be a pipe that feeds excess water into the metal drain pan at the bottom. Because I can't for the life of me find how the water is getting in to the drain pan. After I cut away the soaked insulation and inspected everything I still can't determine why it was so soaked. Unless it's was just condensation???

I find no drain line from the anywhere on the unit to the pan.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

The water will overflow from the coil in the furnace and run inside the furnace. Sometimes ends up inside the furnace fan, shorts out the circuit board etc etc. Look inside the furnace for water damage.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #8

Take a few pics of the top of the unit
remove the insulation...you should find to female 3/4" threaded openings at the base of the fan coil
bet there is still plugs from the factory in the drain holes

ps..check to see of the heat exchanger is rusted
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman59 View Post
I find no drain line from the anywhere on the unit to the pan.
There should be a drain line hooked up going to the pan or a saftey float hooked to the secondary . When the primary plugs up the secondary will keep the furnace from getting soaked. That would not have passed inspection here but you can fix it easy enough.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

Talking

All of your advice was dead on. The primary drain pan ( didn't know what that was till today) was clogged where it drained. Cleared the clog, water drained.
Took the time to look and there was a factory plug for a back up drain to the floor pan. Put that drain pipe in WOO HOO!!! Wrapped it all back up like a christmas present! THANK YOU ALL SO VERY VERY MUCH for all the great advice and help.

There is some rust at the base of the heat exchanger and in the drain tray. Should I be concerned?
The Following User Says Thank You to ironman59 For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Not really. You should get the furnace serviced in the fall. The flame sensor needs cleaning and the face of the burner it sits in front of. The tech can inspect the rest of the unit then. The freon level in the AC should be checked also so you may want to get both of them done at the same time (now). The burners in that unit are finicky and easy to bend and the slots should be cleaned and gapped with a dime. I would try find an experienced Carrier tech.

Last edited by yuri; 06-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #12

Just to be save mount a carbon monixeside(sp)sensor in the building
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Household Handyman

Does the sheet metal pan have a drain to outside? This is a code requirement in our area, would not hurt to have one. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #14

yes, the backup drain pan has a drain to the outside also.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #15

Call your local heating inspector and ask if the pan needs to go outside. We can run a drain from the pan or put a float switch in. I prefer a float swich simply because it lets a home owner know something is wrong by shutting down the AC. Sucks to have the primary plug up and the condensate go out the pan drain untill that plugs up too. Then the home owner notices a problem when there's water running down the interior walls and the ceiling is falling down. Had three new customers with that exact issue this month.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote