Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

Share |

asked in appliances & it was suggested,,,

to place it in here,,, have to reinstall our gas-fired drop-in cooktop in new cabinet,,, there's a drawer just under it which'll work IF i remove the unit's gas regulator/valve to another location,,, IF i do this, will it meet any code regulations ? ? ? new c-tops will be 2" granite.

thinking i'll mount it under the kitchen floor in bsmt onto a floor joist - approx 4' from the unit's gas inlet,,, in the meantime, contacting our natl gas supplier,,, appreciate any replies/suggestions,,, if i remember right, pressure INSIDE the house's in the 4-6psi range, right ? ? ?

THANKS in advance ! ! !

yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Mr. Concrete, that is a good name for an Internet DIY forum. . .

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes.itsconcrete View Post
to place it in here,,, have to reinstall our gas-fired drop-in cooktop in new cabinet,,, there's a drawer just under it which'll work IF i remove the unit's gas regulator/valve to another location,,, IF i do this, will it meet any code regulations ? ? ? new c-tops will be 2" granite.

thinking i'll mount it under the kitchen floor in bsmt onto a floor joist - approx 4' from the unit's gas inlet,,, in the meantime, contacting our natl gas supplier,,, appreciate any replies/suggestions,,, if i remember right, pressure INSIDE the house's in the 4-6psi range, right ? ? ?

THANKS in advance ! ! !

come to think of it if the house system is low pressure gas you shouldnt need the regulator, if is hi pressure than you do. theres a differance in the meters but i cant remember what call the utility or perhaps a local plumber or hvac and ask them try googleing hi pressure gas meter pics or youtube sorry cant be more helpful
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

if that's the case, i hook it up w/o the attached reg oy vey ! ! ! billy means'll be asking moi to sell ' KA-BOOM ' shortly thereafter if it IS needed, tho

finding an answer from our local gas company's like trying to find a republican in nyc who voted for nixon ( for the younger members, nyc's almost totally democratic & nixon was president for a bit back in the day )

thanks VERY much ! ! !

[ kennzz05 - what an odd name ]
yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

kennzz05 its my email address i belong to many forums so changing names gets confusing you could buy a cheap manometer i think they have them for less than 20 than go to another appliance (furnace) there is a pressure port on the entering side of the valve you can determine pressure than call the stove manu and ask them if reg is needed for that pressure or call a plumbing co that does alot of gas work and many do they should know the codes
just got off the phone with a master plumber/gasfitter
ok... are there other appliances with regulaters, water heater, furnace?
also if it is hi pressure it will be marked 2 psi at the meter did you remove an exsisting cooktop? and if so did it have a regulator? if all the answers are no than you dont need the reg at all if you see regulators on the other appliances than you will need it and you can mount it in the basement as you were thinking.... shalom

Last edited by kennzz05; 11-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #6

yes, you need a regulator, even if it is low pressure from the meter. In my area of Ohio, incoming gas pressure after the meter is about 6-7" of water column to have enough gas pressure to operate all the appliances at the same time. Gas furnaces and hot water heaters are set at 3.5" wc I'm not sure about gas stoves. I don't see why you couldn't move the regulator unless it violates some local code.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthvac View Post
yes, you need a regulator, even if it is low pressure from the meter. In my area of Ohio, incoming gas pressure after the meter is about 6-7" of water column to have enough gas pressure to operate all the appliances at the same time. Gas furnaces and hot water heaters are set at 3.5" wc I'm not sure about gas stoves. I don't see why you couldn't move the regulator unless it violates some local code.
i think the code thing was really the original question
Old 11-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #8

The regulator is needed. Do not discard it. Gas press can sometime spike during transmission and the meter does not compensate, hence the regulator.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #9

kennzz05, your'e right iwas distracted and lost track of the original question. I think as long as the regulator is secure he can move it where he wants as long as it isn't an insane amount of distance.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

[quote=hvaclover;184089]The regulator is needed. Do not discard it. Gas press can sometime spike during transmission and the meter does not compensate, hence the regulator.[/quote
out of curiousity than why are there so many furnaces and water heaters and stoves without regulators? isnt there a regulator at the meter
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #11

[quote=kennzz05;184098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
The regulator is needed. Do not discard it. Gas press can sometime spike during transmission and the meter does not compensate, hence the regulator.[/quote
out of curiousity than why are there so many furnaces and water heaters and stoves without regulators? isnt there a regulator at the meter
Aw C'mon K. They got regulators built in to the gas controls. The iddy biddy gas control on a stove can't handle a gas spike.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #12

ok ill give ya that one although ive worked alittle on cooktops and have noticed how small the oven valve was never really thought about it but there is a reg on the meter unless wssc land(wash dc area) is differant than rest of the country
Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
ok ill give ya that one although ive worked alittle on cooktops and have noticed how small the oven valve was never really thought about it but there is a reg on the meter unless wssc land(wash dc area) is differant than rest of the country
depends on the meter I think. i lost a gas valve on a new install cause the gas company regulator's breather was plugged. Ever see 50"WC off natural gas? Pegged my gas press tester. Used my digital manometer and i freaked!

And of course when the gas man showed up he was all uppity acting like he stuff don't stink. He hooked up a liquid filled open manometer to check the press. i told him that was not a good idea. He gave me a dirty look
and opened the gas cock. Red dye shot across the room to a freshly painted white wall. The lady HO screamed like she was being murdered.

LOL that was worth waiting for him to put a new meter in so i could finish my install aand give my customer heat.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
depends on the meter I think. i lost a gas valve on a new install cause the gas company regulator's breather was plugged. Ever see 50"WC off natural gas? Pegged my gas press tester. Used my digital manometer and i freaked!

And of course when the gas man showed up he was all uppity acting like he stuff don't stink. He hooked up a liquid filled open manometer to check the press. i told him that was not a good idea. He gave me a dirty look
and opened the gas cock. Red dye shot across the room to a freshly painted white wall. The lady HO screamed like she was being murdered.

LOL that was worth waiting for him to put a new meter in so i could finish my install aand give my customer heat.

yea they tend to be quite douchelike they have trouble even lighting a pilot if its not the meter there out of there comfort zone (well many are not all)
Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
yea they tend to be quite douchelike they have trouble even lighting a pilot if its not the meter there out of there comfort zone (well many are not all)

This guy had to be an exception. Met plenty of other gas guys who were easy to get along with.