Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Very good advice all. I too have asbestos tape around the seams of my duct work. My problem is that some of it is VERY stuck into the metal and/or extremely hard
to reach enough to remove. My question is would it be acceptable to seal in the asbestos tape with mastic instead of removing it?
Etrace0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
how

Asbestos Duct Wrap

In this end of the woods, some of my customers have water misted their asbestos tape and then latex painted it to seal in the fibers. Most however have just painted over it with what ever leftover paint they happened to be finished with.
I think I would try to be careful to coat the asbestos tape without having the paint brush loosen and allow the fibers to become airborne.

Last edited by how; 02-18-2012 at 11:49 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

Asbestos Duct Wrap

This is a tough question... yes you can encapsulate the exterior... but what is going on inside? Metal duct expands and contracts with the heating and cooling seasons. The adhesive holding the ASB at the existing metal joints may be breaking down after many year of use. ( does this create air movement over friable asbestos?) and( allow ASB particles to become a part of your air supply and return? Do you have a three Micron filtration system?.... How long do you want to live? What risks are acceptable?
Do your Grand children spend any time in this Asbestos prone environment?

Lots to think about...

Best practice might be to get rid of the old stuff... ALL OF IT...

Today's insulated flex duct makes it easy to R&R ...
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Asbestos Duct Wrap

It seems the best option is to get rid of it, although I have done that on a few sections of ducting and it's rather messy and does not come off as easily as most describe it. There still is some residue left, which is probably worse than before I disturbed it.

Attitudes towards the stuff here varies, and as far as the law goes I am able, as a homeowner, to remove it myself. To tell the truth I'd rather encapsulate it in mastic and be done with it. If I were to do that, is it just as simple as putting it on there or should I use joint tape? What is the technique for doing that properly?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Hello all. Fairly new to the forum so any advice/help is appreciated.

While I know that the best thing to do is to have asbestos professionally remediated, this simply is not an option for me.

I was told by my HVAC servicer that he could not legally remove my asbestos duct wrap so I was wondering about the alternative of encapsulating it in mastic. My ducts are leaky and I'd like to seal them up so that the conditioned air gets to where it needs to be.

It is simple asbestos tape wrapped every 4 feet or so along the metal seems of my duct work. What is the proper techniques for sealing it in mastic (spreading it on, joint tape, multiple layers, etc.)?

I have tried to remove it. The problem is some of it is in good condition and some is not. In some spots I cannot remove it all and scraping and peeling leaves a bigger mess than before I disturbed it and I'd like to avoid as much contamination as possible. Professional remediation is not an option (obviously the best option though), nor is replacing the duct work at this juncture so I'd like to stick with sealing it in. Opinions?

Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Asbestos Duct Wrap

First, http://www.encasement.com/products/prepless-primer
Then, http://www.encasement.com/products/asbestosafe
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #7

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Interesting. So the products are designed to be used when removal is not an option and they're used to lock in the friable asbestos. Have you had any experience with these products?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Asbestos Duct Wrap

beenthere and ben the plumbers Amen... poster asked a question on a topic they researched... and thus has brought the topic back up...
I sold box cars of ASB paper used as duct wrap up until the early 70's...
we work with the knowledge we have at the time...

I do not consider myself an ASB alarmist... to often the quick reply to remedy ASB is encapsulate... people don't stop to think what is happening on the other side of their perceived problem.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Asbestos Duct Wrap

[quote=bigMikeB;93229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
jvc, be real careful with that stuff. You could save a few bucks now and end up with lung cancer. Be absolutely sure you know learn the safe way to remove it without contaminating your home.

Do you really believe one time exposure to asbestos will give the guy lung cancer? Let's not panic here. He should close off the area and wear a mask, I doubt he's stupid.
Its not the 1 time exposure thats the problem,its all the dust that gets kicked up and settles everywhere only to get kicked up over and over.

Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

Asbestos Duct Wrap

A guy on the forum turned me onto asbestosafe. It's an encapsulating product that is designed to make the asbestos less prone to disturbance when left in its current spot. In my opinion it's a lot like a mastic or paint. Any opinions on this? Anyone use the stuff before?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Only know that they are used. never did it myself. I always use an outside company for asbestos situations.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #12

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Please, only one thread with same question, thank you. Gary

Carry on.......
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrace0921 View Post
Interesting. So the products are designed to be used when removal is not an option and they're used to lock in the friable asbestos. Have you had any experience with these products?
The tape is not friable. With my place, we just took a solution of water & dish soap in a spray bottle, wet down the tape, removed, then pulled the duct work and disposed. Some people use a solution of water, dish soap & Elmer's glue. How many joints are we talking total, that need to be cleaned up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #14

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Maybe you should spray the joints with the material already mentioned. Then break each joint and remove the sections of ductwork then bag and seal them and dispose of them at the proper landfill.
That way you don't disturb the fibers and you get rid of the mess and get all new tight ductwork. Probably expensive but safety and health is expensive. Piece of mind is worth it.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #15

Asbestos Duct Wrap

Off the top of my head there's probably 30 seams with asbestos tape on them. It's a very common thing to see here in central IL. I'd love to replace my ducts but I just don't have the cash so making the tape less hazardous is my best option. I believe I'm going to try the Asbestosafe coating product. I'll let you all know how that goes. Thanks for the advice!