Armstrong G1N80 Won't Ignite, Help? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Armstrong G1N80 won't ignite, Help?

Hey all, thanks for looking.

Went to start my furnace this year and it won't fire up.

It's a model G1N80BU(075D12A-1A), 80% Gas-Fired furnace.

Knowns: Thermostat is fine (1 yr old honeywell programmable) AC works fine, big circulation fan works fine, inducer SEEMS to be running (it vibrates, but gets pretty hot)

The valve on the inducer seems unclogged, the valve on the pressure switch seems unclogged. The hose connecting both, also fine.

I'm getting a 2 flash red LED on the control board - indicating Pressure switch closed with inducer off.

Last night, while it was on but not working still I wiggled the pressure switch hose a bit and Walla, it fired up! Just fine. The usual musty smell from the furnace first turning on, and it lasted for hours. So that night I happily set the programmable and expected to wake up to heat.

Didn't work in the morning. Smacked the inducer motor and it kicked in again, for an hour before shutting off. Since then, I haven't been able to get it to go at all.

I'm afraid to open up the flue (exahust?) and look around, as its huge and bulky. I will check outside of the house this morning if possible (townhouse) to make sure nothings clogged.

Any other ideas? I am trying to do as much as I can (obviously) before coughing up the dough.

Advertisement

TRocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

moisture in hose from pressure switch could cause this, as may dead birds/critters in the tube. (see other post here) check/test pressure switch and inducer motor. if motor hums and gets hot, i'd guess it's blocked somehow and not moving. but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.....

DM

Advertisement

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I think you've localized the problem. Its either the inducer or the diaphram pressure switch assembly. I don't like that your inducer motor was stuck. There could be a blockage or it is just old. Check the simpliest things first, and let us know what you find.

Last edited by dac122; 10-23-2008 at 09:20 AM.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #4

Will do. I forgot to mention, and actually this might be a huge factor:

When the AC was on this year, the drain hose backed up and one of the little red plugs (on the outside of the furnace) was leaking -- i assume from backup pressure.

Now, maybe that is the initial cause of the problem. Maybe water leaked into the housing and got on the motor?

Anyway, thanks for the replies.. Will update.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

anything's possible.... keep us posted!

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

Hey again.

So, my first hvac contact didn't work out. He actually just installs furnaces, doesn't repair.

Heres some more stuff i did today:

Removed exhaust flue above the inducer fan while it was running. Verified its pushing out quite a bit of air.
Double checked for blockage -- None (and the fact it still didn't work while this was removed, cancels that out as a culprit?)

As suggested somewhere else, I pulled the hose from the inducer side and sucked on it to produce simulated suction and it still didn't start.

Starting it up normally, I can hear the pressure switch 'click' in and hold while its on. Don't think that's the problem, unless the switch is not sending the signal to the control board correctly (quite possible -- not that I know how a pressure switch is suposed to sound lol)

I just twisted the tube in a different way to what I thought would allow better airflow, and the heat is on right now. Don't know how long it will last. It was pretty awesome seeing the pilot light start and the furnace roar into life again.

The 'fail over' switch near the manifold area does NOT pop up. Anyone have other ideas? I can only imagine its going to stop running again within an hour, Will update..

It shut off after 30 minutes. I checked and the thermostat hit the set temp. So I waited for the temp to drop in the house. When it did, the furnace did NOT come back on.

FYI The inducer fan still runs, all the time, but ignition doesn't kick in automatically.

Thank you

Last edited by TRocchio; 10-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #7

*update*

I put my old thermostat back in (its a lot more primitive) and tried again. No luck.

Luckly, we have a gas fireplace which I left on all night with the furnace fan criculating air -- stayed quite warm actually. Nights are gettin colder up here in MN..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

To give you the big picture on your ignition sequence check out Overview and Repair of the Electronic Ignition Furnace. Your system may be a little different.

If you have a volt meter and grasp the furnace wiring diagram you need to start some testing. If you're having trouble understanding your furnace wiring diagram go ahead and post it. Be sure to check the following, perhaps in this order:
  • Are you getting power to your HSI
  • Flame sensor
  • High temp limit switch
  • Pressure switch. It sound like this may be okay, but you may want to check again
  • Is the gas valve being actuated
  • Flame rollout switch
If you think you've found the problem you can jumper the problematic switch to confirm diagnosis. Leaving it that way afterwards gets the Darwin Award.

If everything checks out then process of elimination says you may have a bad control module.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Thanks dac,

I'm too young to go into the Darwin Awards so I'm thinking I'll just call a tech out.

Hopefully I can explain what ive done so far and cut down on the time he has to spend t-shooting...

Last edited by TRocchio; 10-24-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #10

Bump.

Tech came out today and found deposits on the circuit board. Figures its all fried. Wish I would have noticed that.. But oh well. They're ordering a board and will be able to come back and install it while keeping under an hour in labor. Not bad...

He's also going to double check the length/whatever of the flames and make sure its all set right to improve the life of the furnace.

Thanks all

Advertisement