Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

Armstrong electric heat pump fan won't turn off

Hi folks, I know very little about HVAC but am a pretty good troubleshooter/parts changer and can figure most things out with a little help.

I'm also usually pretty good at searching forums for help but I can't seem to find any using the search here.

I have a split system heat pump with the AC compressor outside and the A Frame inside the house in the closet.

The other day after using the heat(for only about the 2nd time this year) my fan won't turn off. I can switch to AC or Heat or Off and it won't go off. The fan on the Tstat is set to auto.
I can disconnect the Tstat and it will still stay on.
the only way to get it to turn off is to flip the breaker.

Last summer I had a similar problem and it was the fan relay. I took mine apart and one of the contacts was slightly discolored but nothing much. I sanded the contacts and put it back in same problem. I then replaced the relay with a new one and still have the same issue.

I do notice that it seems like the fan isn't "wide open" running, maybe 1/2 or 3/4 speed. When the AC kicks on you can hear the fan catch another gear and turn more full speed.

I saw one comment while searching it could be some kind of heater safety thing that is stuck or something but I don't know where to look.

When I look inside the Aframe section with the cover removed I can see my fan relay and two other larger relay type items and then another type module that I'm not sure of. I keep reading about a circuit board but I don't see one anywhere.

I know this might be a totally newb question but I am usually pretty good at figuring these things out and can't really afford to call my HVAC guy until next month and I don't really want that fan to run continuously for a month.

I just remembered there might be a piece under the house, the air handler etc, should I be looking there?

cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

one other comment, when the fan is running it appears to be room temp air.
It does not appear to be warm or cool.
The heat/AC seem to work fine. If I have the heat on set at 71, when the house gets cool the heat kicks on and warms up.
When I have the AC on set at 73 when the temp gets over 73 the AC kicks on.
Everything appears to work fine except the fan won't shut off.
I really don't know but I almost feel like the fan thinks the heat is on and that it needs to move air to keep stuff from overheating but I don't really know.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Your fan sequencer (relay) is stuck closed, or the thermostat wires are shorting to each other.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

if by sequencer/relay you mean this, I have replaced it with a new one and the old one looks fine inside.

on the Tstat, I have a hunter digital, I can remove the tstat from the housing which disconnects the Tstat from the wires and it still runs.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Take the green wire off of the relay and see if it runs.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Cold For This Useful Post:
cbordea (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

I went to pull off the green wire and the blower was already off.
I hadn't checked it today, maybe not even yesterday.

A little more history.
about 2-3 week ago we knew some cool weather was coming so I turned the heat on in the middle of the day to burn off that stuff that usually kicks off the fire alarm the first time the heat comes on. I didn't have any issues.

A couple nights later we knew it was going to be cool so we set the heat to come on at about 70.
We had a couple of cool nights so we left the heat set that way for a couple nights.
it then warmed back up. When I switched over to air, I noticed that the blower wouldn't shut off.
It stayed on for about a week while I have been troubleshooting/reading/talking to folks.
We've had a couple cool nights and have had the heat on for a couple nights, no air or heat during the day.

Do you think it is Tstat/wire related or something on the heat side that finally ran long enough to correct itself?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #7

I've had the heat on a few days now and I noticed the blower is stuck running again.
I'm going to crawl under the house and see if I can notice anything there.
Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

ok, I removed the green wire from the fan relay that comes from the Tstat, the blower still stayed on.

I went to the AC compressor and pulled the cover off of the circuit board. The only thing I can see that looks odd is there is a red and green light and both are flashing. The thermostat is in the off position with the fan on auto. The breaker was still on.

there is also a breaker outside to the AC compressor, a big box with a module you remove and flip over with on/off on it. I pulled that out and the fan is still running.

I know sometimes with auto issues pics help, these are low quality pics so they load fast.
here is a pic of my A frame unit,

here is a pic of stuff inside the A frame unit

here is another view with the fan relay

here is a pic of the circuit board outside.

any help is sure appreciated!

Last edited by cbordea; 10-25-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #9

I've read on another board about tapping a module on the circuit board.
From my pic above does anyone have an idea which one?
I don't want to cause any more problems than I already have.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

ran the air some yesterday and then the heat last night, the blower is still on.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #11

it has been cool lately, ran mostly heat. The blower is off now. This doesn't make any sense.