DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Area around baseboards wet

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
The house I purchased had a new hwbb installed at the beginning of the year. The original owner left the heating system off to avoid buying any heating oil. The systems been off from march till may. I got the tank filled and the hwbb has been running for a little two weeks and now I noticed in the family room downstairs where the baseboards are a little water has developed on the floor. Could it be a leak? How much could this run?

#2 ·
Sure sounds like you might have a leak---Post a picture of the area that is wet and include the nearest radiator in the picture---

Leak could be the heating system--might be water from elsewhere---

Cost ? Not possible to guess that one---much depends on the collateral damage---opening walls and removing trim--repainting---????

#6 ·
First thing you're going to need to figure out is exactly where the water/moisture is coming from. The fact that the water is under the entire length of baseboard and no where else would tend to lead one to believe that's where it's coming from, but sometimes this can be due to the nature of the home's construction.

This is in a family room, on a main floor or in a basement? Is there wood under these baseboards or a concrete floor?

Start with drying all of the water/moisture up. Then lay down some paper towels where it had been, cover these up with saran wrap or plastic and then place another layer of paper towel on top of the plastic. This will tell you if the water is coming from below or above where you're finding it. If you keep a close eye on the "experiment" it will/can also pinpoint where it's originating from. Water will wick and spread out so it more than likely has a definite starting point and that point is what you need to find.

#7 ·
I had my friend who is a plumber check it out for free. He said it was condensation. My family room is in the basement and it is kinda damp down there. Nothing a dehumidifier can't fix. Which one should I buy for under $200 that I can pick up in store. I live in Greene, me.

#8 · (Edited)
Anything sub-$200 is going to be Chinese these days.
Gree seems to be the better name there (Trane's new mini-split A/C are made by Gree), but my parents' Haier from Wal-Mart has been going strong for five years now.

I got a 45pt Soleus "powered by Gree" for $99 after rebate at Menards a couple of weekends ago. Could have been bigger, it took ten days to lower my 1200 sq ft basement from 95% to 65%. Bucket is tiny, had to dump it 5x a day before I put a hose on it.

Love the way the hose hooks up on the Soleus. My old Fedders I had to punch a hole in the bucket and attach the hose to it, and knock out another hole in the housing for the hose to exit, making the hose conversion rather permanent. The Soleus has a door in the side, and the hose goes on the outlet of the catch pan above the bucket. Unscrew the hose and close the door, and it dumps into the bucket. When the hose didn't drain right, the water spilled into the bucket and it shut off when the bucket was full.

This is what I'd buy if there isn't a sale going on:
http://www.menards.com/main/applian...nergy-star-reg-qualified/p-1741825-c-5571.htm

This is what I bought when the price was too good to refuse:
http://www.menards.com/main/applian...nergy-star-reg-qualified/p-1741824-c-5571.htm

EDIT: looks like Menards doesn't get any closer to you than Cleveland.
Lowe's has upscale looking versions of Soleus for more money.
WalMart still has Haier, $209 for 45 pint and $239 for 65 pint.

#15 ·
Something still does not make sense. If the heating run was on due to the circulator running/zone valve open due to the thermostat "on" then it stands to reason there should be heat in that run as well. Hot water pipes don't condensate and there would be heat in the run making the house warmer. Just thinking out loud...so to speak

#16 ·
Some systems are set up that the circ runs 24/7. the stat can only turn the burner on. And then only if the outdoor reset allows the burner to run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.