Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

Is this Aprilaire digital humidistat working right?

I have a new Aprilaire humidistat installed, the kind that has the outside temperature sensor. I'm not sure if it's defective or not. So far, here in Minnesota, we had below zero temps for about a week, and that was a good test for the humidistat. I tried it out at starting at setting 5, then I had condensation on the windows in the morning. Then I set it down to 4, same thing happened, then to 3, and 2, and the same thing happened. Now it's warmed up so I can't test it at Setting 1 in the cold temps, but I hope I don't get condensation there or I'm out of luck since that's the lowest possible setting. How do the rest of you in really cold climates have your digital humidistat set so you get maximum humidity but no condensation?

Another problem is the indoor humidity reading that it gives doesn't seem consistent. For instance, if I check what humidity it says my house is currently at, then cut power to the unit for a couple minutes, then restart it, it'll usually give me a humidity reading that's 5% higher than it was a couple minutes ago.

Otherwise, the unit seems to be working. It decreases the stated humidity as it gets colder out, and increases it as it gets warmer. But with the other two problems, I'm wondering if it's not reading the indoor humidity right and that's leading to my condensation problems and inaccurate humidity reading on the panel display.

Anyone else's digital humidistat behave this way, and for those of you in a cold climate, what do you set your digital humidistat at?

Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #2

Forgot to also ask, for the humidistat's outside temp. sensor, it came with a white plastic sheath on it that seems like it's permanently attached and shouldn't be taken off. Is that correct that the plastic should be kept on when mounted outside?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

haven't installed one of them. But many outdoor sensors come with a protective cover that is not to be removed.

Where do you have your outdoor sensor mounted. Which side of the house.
Is it in direct sun light.

When you power down, and then power up digital controls, they tend to give a different reading then before.

They require power to use there circuits heat, to make accurate measurements.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the outdoor sensor is not in direct sunlight, and is mounted according to the directions. So that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the info on the circuits. So the circuits will give different readings if they're cold and just been powered up vs. all warmed up? Ok, that's good to know that it's not abnormal or defective.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Which side of the building is it at, North or South.

Reflected heat from the homes wall will also throw them off.

Digital thermostats, when you raise the set temp from say 70 to 72, will often show the temp you just changed them to for a minute or so. Then change back to the actual temp.

Someday, they might fix that.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

The thermometer is mounted on the West side of the house, up high, under a deck. So it doesn't get direct sunlight and it's also sheltered from rain and snow.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

South and West sides are your warmest sides.
Even though its not direct. Its picking up reflected heat.

Wind doesn't have an effect on it. Its not able to sense wind chill.

Its sheilded from rain effecting its sensor also. Unless you mount it with the wire ups.

Should be on the North side. If you want it to work right.