Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Share |

AprilAire 550 Humidifier not working?

Hi There.

We moved into our home this past April (8 months ago), and never really considered operating the existing humidifier in the house. Since it was spring/summer, it wasn't that dry inside. Now that the furnace is running througout the day, we notice a very dry environment inside.

So, I looked at the unit and the water filter for the unit was in terrible shape, and so I ordered a new one.

After installing this, I also noted a lot of calcium deposits pretty much everywhere, and looked at the basic tubing and cleaned out the ruber end. When the water source was turned on, there was no constant flow of water, but I had to 'bang' the tubing and little trickles of water came out, but nothing like a 'flow' of water which I think would fit and moisturize the filter pad. I'm thinking maybe it takes a few hours or so for the water to trickle in? Maybe I'm impatient!

Now, I turned the furnace fan on to blow (always), and turned the humidifier control to about 50% for now. I am going to monitor this over the next 24 hours to see what happens.

Does what I'm explaining make sense to you? If required, I can take pictures of what I see. My concern is that maybe the waterline is not pumping enough water to this humidifier tube.

Thanks in advance...

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #2

where is this rubber end you refer too? there is an oriface thats stuck into the exiting side of the solenoid in the copper pipe poke it with a needle but careful not to enlarge it,you can check the amount of water coming to the solenoid by loosening the water line at the solenoid to verify flow

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
newer than a newbie...

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I've waited about 12 hours and there is not even any moisture that drips into the humidifier plastic container that distributes the water to the water filter.

The part of the rubber hose I didn't check was the part that is kind of bolted/attached to a copper tube, and that end I haven't looked at yet. The other end of the rubber hose plugs into the humidifier unit inside the humidifier (I only checked that end).

I am wondering what I should expect as the 'normal' waterflow (should it be like a water faucet tap consistency) and does it normally only flow when the humidifier gets turned on?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the norm is before I try to do anything drastic.

Thanks again.
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote