Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Apparently I need a new circuit board?

Hi Guys!

We've got a Goodmans ARUF061-00A-1 A/C furnace, and I'm in a bit of a quandry. We noticed a couple of weeks ago that the furnace fan in our attic was running all the time, whether we set the room thermostat to heat, cool or off! No problems whatever with temperature settings, but we were concerned the the motor running indefinitely would cause something to wear out, even though there is a switch on the thermostat that caters for that.

I got some unfortunatly bad advice that if I connected the white wire directly to the red wire inside the thermostat, and the motor still kept running, then the problem would be the thermostat.

I got a new thermostat, tried to wire it up, got the wires mixed up, messed up both thermostats, and wound up having to pay the an expert we called $200 to fit a new delux thermostat! (They never carry cheap versions of anything in their vehicles do they?) And the original fan problem still prevails.

The technician checked the furnace in our attic, came down, and said that something on the furnace circuit board was burned out, and it would need total replacement to the tune of $433. He said that the resistor (or words to that effect) was to fiddley to try and replace on its own! He he'd said try to get the new C/B in time for monday.

My question is: Do the experts out there feel this is an accurate analysis? Am I paying an arm and a leg for this component (cost includes fitting). Assuming the diagnosis is correct, does it really hurt to have this fan blowing all the time? There is a facility for doing that on the thermostat after all. And finally, should I cancel him and get a second opinion?

Any help on this would be really greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

PeteUSA44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 24

There is a fan relay on the board and it probably is stuck on and the board needs replacing. They are nonrepairable. Prices vary from area to area depending on the cost of living so we don't do pricing. Not out of the ballpark for my company. It will cost another $100 or more for a 2nd opinion and it still needs more repairs $$. Running the fan all the time wears it out and costs about 1$/day in my area, do the maths it ain't cheap to run.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

Many Thanks yuri

One last thing though, do you think this board is something I could replace myself? I wouldnt mind saving $300 dollars or so if it were possible, since I'm currently without a job?

Pete
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 12

Don't take this wrong.

But. You messed on on the stat. look what that cost you. What if you mess up on the board, and wipe out another part beside the expensive new board you were trying to install.

Could end up costing you more then a thousand bucks in parts alone.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 24

AND, the new board may be a retrofit and require some alterations in wiring. I would get the tech to do it, doesn't sound like he is ripping you off.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.

I'll leave it to the experts.

All the best.

Pete