Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

AO Smith gas water heater pilot light goes out after a while

After the pilot light was lit, it goes out after 1 to a few days but can vary. I replaced the natural gas pilot assembly (consisting of the thermocouple, gas pilot line and electric ignition wire as one unit). There was some condensation at first when burner went on, but recently none was noted. I recently tried to clean the flame arrestor . The only other things I could think of are ventilation (flue) and the gas control valve. Or gas supply. Is there a way to check the gas valve? If so how? If condensation is the issue, (probably not) how would this be resolved?

Alfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

AO Smith gas water heater pilot light goes out after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfo View Post
After the pilot light was lit, it goes out after 1 to a few days but can vary. I replaced the natural gas pilot assembly (consisting of the thermocouple, gas pilot line and electric ignition wire as one unit). There was some condensation at first when burner went on, but recently none was noted. I recently tried to clean the flame arrestor . The only other things I could think of are ventilation (flue) and the gas control valve. Or gas supply. Is there a way to check the gas valve? If so how? If condensation is the issue, (probably not) how would this be resolved?
When you look at the pilot flame is it lazy and yellow or is it strong and blue? While you may have changes everything else, your pilot orifice may be dirty. Now, take care in cleaning it out because if you make the orifice bigger than it is, you may have the same problems. If you have the right tools like a gas cleaning kit, they have special pilot cleaning wires which are very, very thin... like a human hair type thing.

Your condensation when you first turned on the unit is normal on a cold start because you are heating up the inside of a cold water heater and the moisture produced by the gas will form on the cold surface and drip until the appliance is heated up.

You can check your gas valve and see if you have 24 volts there. If you do and you are still getting failures and you have cleaned the pilot and it is strong and does not go out, then I would begin to suspect the gas valve.

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote