Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Anyone looking for a side job (Chicago Area)?

Does anyone here work in the Chicago area? I am getting prices from companies for installing HVAC units, but would rather pay someone directly who wishes to do the installation at a cheaper cost. That is assuming that you have the ability to purchase a funace and A/C at wholesale cost. If interested, send me a PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Does anyone here work in the Chicago area? I am getting prices from companies for installing HVAC units, but would rather pay someone directly who wishes to do the installation at a cheaper cost. That is assuming that you have the ability to purchase a funace and A/C at wholesale cost. If interested, send me a PM.

Good luck with this, what is going to happen when there is a problem with your installation? who are you going to call? Higher someone that is in business.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Chris... I was thinking on having someone do the install as a side job and then use a company to do the service work? For example, when I moved into my house, the furnace is a Carrier. I have no idea what company installed the furnace, but have not had a problem finding a company who was familiar with Carrier equipment. Can you give me more specifics as to why not to hire someone as an installer only, and use a company for future service calls?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Electrician

Its fine if you hire someone thats in business, just do not hire someone that is going to do the install as a side job, in other words make sure they have the proper license and insurance and do a reference check.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Its fine if you hire someone thats in business, just do not hire someone that is going to do the install as a side job, in other words make sure they have the proper license and insurance and do a reference check.
If the OP wanted to go that route, it wouldn't be a side job.

The purpose of getting something done "on the side" is to AVOID paying a typical business's overhead. Like buying mayterial wholesale and not paying retail markups.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
If the OP wanted to go that route, it wouldn't be a side job.

The purpose of getting something done "on the side" is to AVOID paying a typical business's overhead. Like buying mayterial wholesale and not paying retail markups.
And what person in business what offer that?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #7

What I mean by side job is someone who is a HVAC tech for a company, but works side jobs on the weekends. Weekend side jobs are quite common in the Chicago area...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
What I mean by side job is someone who is a HVAC tech for a company, but works side jobs on the weekends. Weekend side jobs are quite common in the Chicago area...
Weekend / evening side jobs are quite common everywhere. Back in the day, I made more on side work than I did for my employer.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Summit

One of the problems with hiring someone on the side is what happens after the install. On average, about 30% of heating & air installations (not my number) have an issue that needs to be addressed with a year. Will the side jobber be willing to stand behind his work 1 year later? Will he be paid enough to happily return and solve his problems?

This is the most important thing that I can tell you about side work..Hiring another service company to correct someone else's installation errors if very difficult. Very very difficult. Being a Goodman dealer, I see this all of the time. People stuck with a system they had installed cheaply. Goodman equipment is easily accesible by everyone. I personally will not dig in to someone else's bad installation. Once I touch the equipment I feel obligated to make it right.

There are alot of other issues as well, such as insurance, licensing, city codes etc. I cant tell you how many times I've received this call: "I had my brother in law who lives out of state install my furnace, now we need a permit in order to sell the home, can you pull a permit for us?" Very hard to find someone to pull a permit in this situation...
Summit Heating & Air is offline   Reply With Quote