Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

anyone ever hear of concord furnace?

my builder is have the hvac subs install concord brand furnaces in his houses regularly and my house as well. has anyone ever heard of this brand? any opinions/comments on concord?

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I can find very little info. on them. I am in the market for a replacement furnace and have received a quote from a small (but reliable) contactor for the Concord 80 and 90. I'm hesitant on a brand that has so little information available. Only a website, but no ratings in Consumer Reports or even a furnace rating site online.

I found some additional info. Concord is one brand made by Allied Air Enterprises of Ohio http://www.alliedair.com/

They make Ducane, which is better-known, but Concord seems to be the lesser brand, for whatever, maybe only known by contractors. It was just announced in February that this plant will close in 2007 and be absorbed by the Lennox International plant in S.C.

Under these circumstances, I am going to get more estimates of other brands.

Last edited by rauerhahn; 03-10-2006 at 07:02 PM.
rauerhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Concord Furnaces are a product of Lennox International, Inc. Information is available on LennoxInternational.com. Judging from the Lennox website, Concord appears to be their lowest-end product.
ittang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

my Furnace repair guy, whom I seem to need every year for something on my Concord 90 plus furnace, tells me that Concord is the same as Armstrong. Not certain if he is correct. He also recommends that I change out the furnace with another brand (one that he sells of course).

Hope this helps.

Just checked the Allied website (posted above) and it appears that he is correct. I will add the make that he recommends once I find out.
hdupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

My parents as well as a few family members have this brand/make of furnace. My parents just had theirs installed about a year ago. They love it. It is compact and functions very effeciently. When talking with other family members I found out a few more had them as well that were older units. No problems with their furnaces. They like them as well. I was actually concidering installing one in our home as well. We need to get rid of the Trane one currenly there and will definately not get another one of those.
Heebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebz View Post
My parents as well as a few family members have this brand/make of furnace. My parents just had theirs installed about a year ago. They love it. It is compact and functions very effeciently. When talking with other family members I found out a few more had them as well that were older units. No problems with their furnaces. They like them as well. I was actually concidering installing one in our home as well. We need to get rid of the Trane one currenly there and will definately not get another one of those.
I just looked it up because we just had one crack after nine years, and I thought that I would let you know. Also from a builder.
windygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

some furnace brands have heat exchangers that crack easier than others or other inferior parts etc.

AND re brand them to avoid attention and yet some mfgs are hired to produce good units for large distributors

builder quality is usually cheaper and not as good....maybe you can get a credit and have a more well known brand installed
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
some furnace brands have heat exchangers that crack easier than others or other inferior parts etc.

AND re brand them to avoid attention and yet some mfgs are hired to produce good units for large distributors

builder quality is usually cheaper and not as good....maybe you can get a credit and have a more well known brand installed

Or it could be that the under sized duct work installed on it caused the problem, and would have done the same no matter what the brand.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 162

Concord is indeed Armstrong. They call it there builders model.
the guts are the same as the Armstrong. only diffrence is thinner metal,
no insulation in blower compartment. gas valve,heat exchanger,draft motor, and controls are the same. I only had problem with them when the used the Smart Valve. But so did everybody else.
As with the crack heat exchanger it could not have the corect temp rise.
I like them.
hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac instructor View Post
Concord is indeed Armstrong. They call it there builders model.
the guts are the same as the Armstrong. only diffrence is thinner metal,
no insulation in blower compartment. gas valve,heat exchanger,draft motor, and controls are the same. I only had problem with them when the used the Smart Valve. But so did everybody else.
As with the crack heat exchanger it could not have the corect temp rise.
I like them.
hvac instructor..been installing concord /armstrong for about 15-20 yrs now...not a bad product not top line but they hold there own as far as a builder line...only had one cracked heat exchanger out 3-400 units.....it was our fault...new guy undersized duct....I missed it after 7 yrs it was shot....it was replaced at our cost....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #11

Hey Ben Sr...Good to know...thanks.....

I know of a mfgr who had 100% failure rate on their Ht Exchangers for a few years!! they cracked within 1-2 years

I had the dubious pleasure of purchasing about 30 oil fired of the d@*n things.
For a large realty holding company so, not my money

Our furnace service rep also told me of a subdivision where all of the 100 gas fired units failed within 2 yrs. Same make,,but that was about 15 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 162

ben,
ive been installing for about 5 yrs. used to install Lux Air. i had to many problems with the micro channel condensers and 90% furnaces.

Techpappy
that wouldnt be Janatrol would it. they had a recall on alot of there units
because they forgot to weld the halfs together on thier heat exchangers
hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac instructor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #13

No..the ones I bought were York with a Ducane heat exchanger. Not sure what the make was in the subdivision but, I was told, also Ducane heat exchangers.

Hopefully they have the problem solved by now but, I have been out of the biz for about 15 yrs. so out of the loop on this issue.

For anyone purchasing new units ..ask around...go and have coffee with the HVAC techs....as far as I'm concerned it sounds like a real crap shoot these days...buyer beware!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concord, Armstrong and Lennox. All part of Lennox industries. Different equipment manufactured in different locations, but all part of the Lennox group. Lennox is a name which cost more because of branding and reputation. Concord and Armstrong are more of the "builders grade" equipment. Nothing wrong with that, but they don't spend nearly as much in advertising on those two products as they do Lennox. Less overhead, less costly. Reviews, warranty and customer service are the reasons to consider equipment; coupled with a good installation and a dealer who will stand behind the product.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #15

YES Missouri Bound...I meant to mention WARRANTY especially on heat exchangers!

Also, what constitutes a good warranty..installer warranty vs manufacturer's warranty?