Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Anybody know of wall-mounted whole house fan?

We want to install a whole house fan above collar ties between rafters in our finished attic to suck out the hot air which accumulates up there. We do not have AC or central air. Entry to finished attic is via 5' circular stair, so there is a big open space connecting first level and upper level. Upper level drywall ceiling is attached to bottom of rafters and bottom of collar ties and there is only about 10-12" of space between top of collar tie and bottom of ridgeboard. There is a ridge vent and a soffit vents at every rafter end. I would rather not penetrate the roof, and was wondering if anybody knew of a whole house fan (about 6000 CFM) which would duct to an exterior gable vent. Thanks in advance for all replies.

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,304

Lomanco makes a Gable Vent unit for helping to pull hot air out of the attic. A whole house fan is not going to solve your problem.

If this is finished. You need to first get Central AC up there, if you have it open to the downstairs. Then you need to also make sure the attic spaces are properly vented, so that the Solar/Heat Gain, does not heat up the upstairs area.

You could probably get by with a mini-duct system up there, to help keep it cool during the Summer. The catch is getting the attic properly vented and insulated.

A whole house fan blows air into the attic. Then it relies on proper venting to allow that air to move out of the attic. Problem is that if your attic does not have enough venting. You end up causing insulation to start moving around from the air movement.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

The house is slab on grade. There is no basement to place any central air unit. I looked at ductless mini-splits, but they are too expensive. A whole house fan will work, but since the upper level is a finished space, with no attic above it -except for a small triangle between the ridgeboard and collar ties on the rafters- it would need to be vented out the roof, or out that small triangle area at the gable. I found the roof mounted fans ( http://www.quietcoolfan.com/rooffans.html ), but would rather try a wall mount and not penetrate the roof. The upper level is fully insulated (R-30) and each rafter space has a soffit vent and direct airflow to the ridge, so venting is not an issue. I am looking for a whole house fan for houses with no attic that, rather than venting through the roof, vents through an exterior wall.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

tpagel, you did not read anything I stated. Go back and re-read what I posted. Regardless about being on a slab. You can still install Central a/c with forced heat. It will mean using a high-velocity unit, which are 2"-3" flex ducts.

And no a whole house fan will not work. It is not how to fix your problem.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

grgezoll...I do appreciate your replies. Perhaps a bit more information is in order. As I said, the upper level, which used to be an attic, is now a finished space. It is fully insulated and already has a brand new hot water baseboard system for heat, which was simply an extension of the existing loop that heats the lower level. My problem is only excess heat in the Summer. Central A/C and ductless mini-splits are too expensive to install for my situation. From my reading, a whole house fan will address that type of issue, but since I have no real attic, the only units I have seen for this situation would vent through the roof (see the one I linked to in a previous post). I was only hoping that somebody might know of a unit which could vent through an exterior wall rather than the roof. I do not see why the whole house fan would not work for this cooling. It is what they are made for, to do what AC does but at a lower cost. Seems simple to me, but then, i am certainly no expert. If it would not be a solution, I would like to learn why. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

And again, there is no way of removing that heat, without making it a conditioned space, just like downstairs.

A whole house fan, requires venting out to the attic, with sufficient ability for that air being forced up there, to exhaust out. A Gable end vent is for attics, not for in a room.

Either use Window units, or start looking at a mini-split or high-velocity unit. They cost no more then a standard Central Ac/heat system.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 300

So, if I understand you correctly, you have a finished attic space, and a small triangular space in the ceiling of this room, where the ridge vent is at. So are you looking for a way to exhaust the air in that space, or do you want to exhaust the air in the finished attic space? Or both?
taylorjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #8

taylorjim...Yes. You have that correct. Trying to (very economically) exhaust the heat build-up from the finished space. I realize it will have to be vented directly outside, not into the small triangular space above the ceiling. I am just hoping to do it through wall, rather than through the roof.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #9

Do you have access to that area, or will you be tearing down the ceiling to install something? Do you have a gable/wall vent in that area now or are you planning to install one?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

I will have access to the area. I plan on some demo because of some modifications I plan to make on that level. There is no current gable end vent in the exterior wall as there is a continuous ridge vent to vent all rafter spaces from soffit intake venting.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Well, space is a limitation, and there's no way you are going to get the 6000cfm you are looking for. I've done something similar and had to put in a gable vent through the exterior siding, then mounted a gable power fan on the inside. The fan was 15" in diameter. Then I took some 16" flexible, insulated ductwork, attached it to the gable fan, and routed it through the attic, and built a plywood box between the rafters, and cut a hole in the side of it to run the 16" flex duct into. Then put a vent in the drywall ceiling, inside that box. I used a return duct grate because it has a removable screen made to mount a furnace filter. In winter I open it up and slip in a piece of Styrofoam insulation to keep out the cold. Mounted the power to an on/off switch and timer. If that makes any sense. You could do it on both sides of your room and maybe get about 3000cfm exhausted. Be sure to open windows downstairs because that's a lot of airflow. If you use the insulated ductwork, it will cut down on the noise of the blower, and try to use about 8' of ductwork to keep the fan motor away from your ceiling grate to limit the noise, but it shouldn't be that bad.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

Thanks, taylorjim. I was running pretty much the same scenario through my head, but was hoping there was a standardized product i could buy instead of doing it piecemeal. One thing...since the heat build-up is really only on the upper level, maybe I don't need that big a fan. I have lots of windows in the upper level, so it wouldn't need to pull a ton of air from the farthest reaches of the house to cool things down a bit up there.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

you could look into something like a swamp cooler -
revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

you can run a swamp cooler without any water and it is just a big blower - and they have them that wall mount

revs is offline   Reply With Quote