Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any reason I should not cut out returns in the basement?

I only have a 5" return duct in my basement, and I find there's not much circulation down there. For example after a hot day I will open all the windows and run the blower to circulate the air, but the basement barely cools down. It will stay hot down there. When I close up the windows it starts to warm up as the basement heat radiates up.

I'm thinking of just cutting out a large section in the two main return ducts and adding a screen (so any bugs don't go in). This would be at the same returns as the upstairs one. So basically there's already a hole for the vent in the floor, I'd just make another hole on the other side of the duct to draw from the basement too. The way I see it is it will draw air from both and "self equalize" based on the supplies in the basement. This will also help for passive air movement even when the blower is not on. My basement has a door, so it's sorta sealed from the rest of the house minus the crack under the door and ductwork.

I can't see why I can't do this, but thought I'd ask in case I'm overlooking something. Also what tool woudl I use to cut this? I have tin snips but they're not really convinient to use for anything bigger than the lenght of the snips as what I'm cutting gets in the way of my hand. I'm thinking grinder with cut off disc but hoping for something less messy.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #2

make one return same size as upstairs in the basement duct.there is no return that is why the heat stacks up then rises.cutting duct magic marker the size on the duct take a big srewdriver and at an angle from the tip on the duct hit just above the screwdriver tip and it will cut the duct going down then finish it off with snips.adding a return as the main floor has will balance the air being pumped into the spaces trick to cutting an opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ZCA...eature=related

Last edited by biggles; 07-08-2012 at 06:12 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Good to know, that's what I'll do then. And think my issue with cutting is my tin snips are probably crap, I'll just buy another pair. his look like they cut through that like butter.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote