Any Issues: Old Condenser - New System? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

Any Issues: Old Condenser - New System?

I had the furnace replaced last fall. That and the coil were both 26 years old. I told the guys to disconnect the lineset and remove the coil and that when I got the money I would install a new coil, lineset and condenser. The condenser is being relocated to the side of the house.

I've priced out a new condenser and for now it will have to wait. I have a cased coil on order that I'm going to install. I'll also run the lineset out to the new location. From that point, everything will be new.

I was thinking I would move the existing condenser (it's about 15 years old) to the side of the house and have a guy do the connections, evacuate and recharge the system. Are there any issues I should be aware of keeping the old condenser?

The furnace and coil are matched as per Carrier specs. It's a 3-1/2 ton coil. The existing condenser is 3 ton. I'm not sure about the refrigerant for the condenser but the coil is set up for R410A. I know the old system was freon.

Is this doable? Would I need to change out the TXV valve for R-22? Is it worth it or should I find some way to afford a new condenser?

Advertisement

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

You will need an R-22 specific txv or piston to make the coil compatible to the old R-22 condenser. It is not a good idea to go this route. Best would be to get the new 410-A condenser now as well. You will be paying three times as much overall recovering the "new" R-22 of which you will be charged for the refrigerant at time of new evaporator install, lineset flush to prep for the new 410-A of the new condenser, having to buy a new 410-A txv to install in the coil to convert it back along with the condenser on a later date.

That plus the partly new system will only be as efficient as the condenser so you've just paid a bunch of money to remain stagnant.

Might be best to ask before you make decisions.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with DOC 100%. Save up and replace it all at the same time. A coil by itself will probably have a 1 year warranty while a whole system will have a 10 year warranty. Since the coils are the weak link you want it covered as long as possible.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with Doc - do yourself a favor and move on up to R410A. I know it's pricey, but if you can't do it right, then you should just consider waiting until you have the money to do things right.

You won't be able to reuse the coil with R410A when you have to upgrade that condenser. Yes, you can change the TXV back to 410A, but you will be very hard pressed to get all the old mineral oil out of that coil, and it doesn't take much at all to lock down that new 410A system. I've had the local Rheem/Ruud tech guys say that they won't warranty system if they find that the coil was not changed out when a new 410A condenser was installed. I can't verify that, but I sure wouldn't take the chance.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote