Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

any company make a DIAL stat with a 70F max?

I am looking for a dial or manual (not digital) thermostat with a 68-70F max setting. I just called Honeywell and they have one that maxes out at 80. I thought I saw someone here say they've seen a manual thermostat with a max setting of 72 but I can't find it. which company makes it...? It's not Honeywell.
Thanks
h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82diet View Post
I am looking for a dial or manual (not digital) thermostat with a 68-70F max setting. I just called Honeywell and they have one that maxes out at 80. I thought I saw someone here say they've seen a manual thermostat with a max setting of 72 but I can't find it. which company makes it...? It's not Honeywell.
Thanks
Which is most important: (1) having a manual thermostat, or (2) a lower cost unit?

Many better stats have the ability to set max/min temperatures for heating/cooling respectively. Check out White-Rogers.
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
REP

You could check out an Accustat which is a single tempsture stat.You buy a bulb with a single temp on it.You can pick the temp you want and thats what the stat controls to.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #4

Having a lower cost unit that is VERY simple to operate is important to me. Also, I'd like to be able to put a thermostat guard over it.
Thanks for the names... I'll check them out.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
REP

An Accustat is an inexpensive stat.You can put a guard on it but you need a special key in order to get to the single temp bulb as it is.
Good luck
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

the accustat website says that the BULB is no longer available. I will call the company tomorrow.
thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Honeywell digital non programmable focus pro th5110D. You can set the max heat and min cool on it. Very simple to use!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
REP

Well I checdked www.psgcontrols.com and they show all the bulbs I remember.
Looks like you need model LH1 with a S-70 bulb.
They have expanded their line a lot but if you go to the catalog page you will see.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #9

cool! Looks like what I'm looking for!
Thanks for everyone's advice!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
how

This is an old school ploy but I can't tell you how many lever style mercury thermostats I run into that have a screw fastened into the wall to stop folks (teenagers and the demented,.. is there a difference?) from turning the thermostat above a set temperature.

Not to mention the tenents that find the air holes in a thermostat guard large enough to easily manipulate the thermostat with a thin screwdriver or a bit of coat hanger wire.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #11

mount this in a locked closet and run the bulb into the space into a utility box,better yet mount this just above a ceiling tile and sneak the bulb below the tile in a utility box mounted on the wall... http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...de=RMBT19ABA40 that accustat item is also fool proof but pricey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
An Accustat is an inexpensive stat.You can put a guard on it but you need a special key in order to get to the single temp bulb as it is.
Good luck
I second that, used them many times on commercial establishments they are tamper proof and you have to ruin them to get the cover off without the special slide key. The sensor looks just like a little old time thermometer if I remember right. Good call REP.

Note: You can't even see inside them, they look just like a little box on the wall.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #13

I found a company that has a few left on the shelves as Mercury sensors have been outlawed in many states including mine. But now I'm thinking if I get a 68Fsensor and the tenant wants it lower their only option is to either turn the thing off or open the windows. If I leave the the dial manual honeywell stats and beef up the guards then I can adjust it if the tenant wants me to.
My head is spinning... my contractor said that any stat has to work with my zone valves... something I hadn't even thought about.

Last edited by h82diet; 11-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
how

I am not sure if I even know of a 24V thermostat that would not work with your zone valves, so I'm not sure what your contracter's concerns are about.
I often find myself faced with a thermostat guard and with no key holder on site. The air holes that allow the air to reach the thermostat have always been big enough for me to be able to turn the thermostat up & down with a piece of bent wire or sometimes just a thin screwdriver.
Maybe its like you never know how easy it is to get into your locked house untill you misplace your own keys.

Last year when I asked a wife to turn up the thermostat while I was looking at her furnace, I saw a little hesitation in her eyes but off she went. Eventually the furnace came on but when I went upstairs later to turn it back down, I found a guarded thermostat with a thawing bag of frozen peas hanging over it. The husband had a fancy electronic thermostat covered with a locked guard case all set up to be 60 degrees when he was at work and back to 72 a few minutes before he got home.
The wife found a way around his manipulative controls and probably fed him those same peas when ever he pissed her off.

Last edited by how; 11-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #15

LOL! Hopefully she also gives him canned dog food "disguised" as hash! This guy I use is 89 y/o and more spritely than I am. He really seems to know what he's doing and is not afraid of programmable thermostats... I just don't want to spend the $50 on each one.

I called the HVAC supplier and he said that I can't use ONE thermostat to operate 5 zone valves. I would really like to just have one thermostat centrally located in the building and lock it up. I do this in my other place and no one ever complains. They probably just run electric heaters (which I pay for too! LOL)