Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

Another heat pump ?

My heat pump is supposedly sized correctly for my poorly insulated, drafty house. At what temp can I expect it to struggle to keep up and switch to the gas furnace. I keep the stat set around 69. So far its doing ok down to the low 30*s. Over the next few weeks we will work our way to -0* temps. Not a lot of those days, but a lot of teens and twentys. I am wondering what to expect.

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Another heat pump ?

My heat pump has worked down to 0 degrees F. The aux heat only comes on when the unit goes into defrost.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

Another heat pump ?

Really ? Keeps the house around 70* ? Thats what I feel is comfortable.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #4

Another heat pump ?

With the price of gas right now it's cheaper to switch around 35 even if the heat pump can keep up at a lower temp.

Mines a 2 stage that's over sized a half ton to give a bit more heat. It can keep the house at 72 down to 9 degrees outside but I've done a lot of sealing and insulating to the place. The Mrs. starts to complain about the air temp coming out of the registers once it falls below 30 out so no matter what the HP can do or the price of gas, got to keep momma happy and switch it over.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

Another heat pump ?

Interesting. This is my first winter with the heat pump. So far I prefer it to the the blast of hot air that comes from the gas furnace. I am also going to be comparing, cost of operation. Should get a gas bill today. I'm hoping its very low. Should be as it only runs in defrost mode so far. Ive been tweaking the thermostat settings, trying to keep the gas from kicking on.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Willing to listen

Another heat pump ?

Like Missour Bound I pretty much let mine just run, even down to 0 and have no issues. I'll see by my Thermostat LED that the electric heat is cycling sometimes in the background as supplement, but it's only briefly. About the only time I shut her down is severe ice. House is kept at 70 in St. Louis MO area.
Done That is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #7

Another heat pump ?

Every penny you can spend on new windows if you have old single paned windows, adding insulation in the attic, sealing all the air leaks around windows and doors will save you dollars in the long run.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Another heat pump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done That View Post
Like Missour Bound I pretty much let mine just run, even down to 0 and have no issues. I'll see by my Thermostat LED that the electric heat is cycling sometimes in the background as supplement, but it's only briefly. About the only time I shut her down is severe ice. House is kept at 70 in St. Louis MO area.

That sounds good. Im in southwest Indiana. Our weather is similar to yours.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Still going...

Another heat pump ?

My local electric company gave me a cost per BTU print out when I moved in, 2 years ago when I asked for it. You can use this for your area to help decide when to switch. I have the Aprilaire 8870 thermostats which allow a differential to be set. This way it automatically switches over when heat pump is not producing enough heat to maintain your desired temp. I think there are a few other thermostats that do the same thing.

Also search online for the specs for your unit. You should be able to obtain the delta rise and can use that as something objective to use to tweak. Our unit has been giving us about a 12-20 degree delta rise over last couple of days, we are in central Indiana.

I also programmed thermostat to shut off while we are away (55H-85C). Heat pump alone would take too long to recover house before we retrun from work.

We keep our house at a toasty 73. Need humidifier badly. Heat pumps are good for maintaing temps once reached. Seal and insulate as mentioned by joecaption.

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-11-2011 at 12:17 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Another heat pump ?

quick check on that charge try to touch that insulated former suction line into the air handler now the discharge line...should'nt be able to grab it thats disharge super heated freon.... going into the evap coil
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

Another heat pump ?

Almost forgot about this thread. Currently the gas is set to come on when the temp is 4* below setpoint. That has not happened yet. It was 20* F outside last night and 70* inside. When the sun goes down, I'm sure the heat will kick on. I will see how hot the lines are at the A coil then.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

Another heat pump ?

OK, I can touch the line for a couple seconds and thats all. Stuck a thermometer down in the insulated part and got 140* F. Normal ??
Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
Still going...

Another heat pump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
OK, I can touch the line for a couple seconds and thats all. Stuck a thermometer down in the insulated part and got 140* F. Normal ??
Normal I have no clue, but the real measurement is delta rise. Measure the temp coming out of a few vents, average the value and see how much higher it is compared to room temp near return. If you compare the number you get with the published tables you can get an idea of how well "your" particular system is doing. An IR thermometer will get you these numbers in less than two minutes.

The published table will tell you the outside temperature when your heat pump will begin to have an inefficient delta rise. Based on what you are getting you should know without guessing.

--Chris

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 12-11-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Another heat pump ?

Room temp 68*. Vent 82*. Outside 22*.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Still going...

Another heat pump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Room temp 68*. Vent 82*. Outside 22*.
Here is the table for my unit, in comparison yours if performing right in line, do you have a Goodman or re-branded version?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goodman delta.pdf (78.6 KB, 30 views)