Annual Service Contract On AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Annual service contract on AC unit

I wanted to know if having an annual service done on an AC unit is really worth it or should I save the money to only fix it when it's not working. Any thoughts?
Dave

Advertisement

dhd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 780

The only thing you need to do is make sure the condenser fins are free of cottonwood or dandelion fluff. If it works then it works. There are no oil ports or belts etc. The inside unit is same as heating. Clean/replace filter as needed.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

If you don't check the Freon level the AC won't cool properly and will get damaged.

If you don't clean the flame sensor in a furnace and check the temp rise it will fail and will overheat and get damaged.

Unless you got Freon gauges and know how DIYers cannot check the Freon level.

When it breaks it will be REAL expensive to fix. There are many more things I check as a Pro but those 2 will give you an idea of the importance. Freon leaks can be slow and develop at any time so just because it is "cooling" does not mean it has all of it's Freon or enough.

The trick is to find a Pro who does a proper job. Talk to your neighbors, friends, co-workers to see if they can recommend someone who has done good work 4 them. Same as finding a good car mechanic.

Last edited by yuri; 05-15-2014 at 12:51 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I have a new system that uses the new Freon or whatever it's called. I know the guys I've had do it are food but I just wanted to know if there is any thought that I'm wasting money on a new system that I shouldn't need to. The home is older (1970) and I've had to have the electrical box outside replace already on this but now they seem to just clean the unit and that's about it. That's why I asked. I don't know, maybe they do more then I know I just am to dumb to know.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

It may not look complex but they are taking measurements and readings and that is the most important. Lennox and some manufacturers are starting to enforce the fine print rules in the install manual/warranty card that proper maintenance needs to be done or the warranty will be void. Car manufacturers do that also.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhd42 View Post
I wanted to know if having an annual service done on an AC unit is really worth it or should I save the money to only fix it when it's not working. Any thoughts?
Dave
Save your money. As long as you know how to clean the outside unit of debris, do not blow grass clippings into it while mowing, do not let dogs pee on the unit. You will be fine.

The electrical side should be checked for any signs of Corrosion or heating up from loose wires. Contactor same thing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,044

I have to go with gregzoll and polecat on this one. As long as the equipment is operating satisfactory and keeping set point I wouldn't bother spending any money on maintenance. Just keep changing the filters in the A/H / Heater and cleaning the outside coils with out damaging them. Air conditioner's are pretty much like cars today there's not much you can do DIY it takes sophisticated equipment to take readings and checkouts.
That's all I have ever done to mine for the last 40 years and I only replaced the system once just to gain a higher efficiency.
And if you run into a not so hot Company who knows what they'll do or tell you.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
If you don't check the Freon level the AC won't cool properly and will get damaged.

If you don't clean the flame sensor in a furnace and check the temp rise it will fail and will overheat and get damaged.

Unless you got Freon gauges and know how DIYers cannot check the Freon level.

When it breaks it will be REAL expensive to fix. There are many more things I check as a Pro but those 2 will give you an idea of the importance. Freon leaks can be slow and develop at any time so just because it is "cooling" does not mean it has all of it's Freon or enough.

The trick is to find a Pro who does a proper job. Talk to your neighbors, friends, co-workers to see if they can recommend someone who has done good work 4 them. Same as finding a good car mechanic.
You sound like a salesman.

Ok...so the freon leaks out....if my memory serves me correctly...unless your sucking in outside air....it's not going to hurt the compressor. And I would be willing to bet that the gauges would not even be pulled out of the truck by the service guy unless the owner complained about cooling problems.

Flame sensor? Clean it? Really? I wonder how many people clean the flame sensor in their gas dryers.

Seeing how the average system goes 10-15 years before there are any issues, I don't see how an annual 'service' is going to be of any value....unit should be under warranty for the first year...and following the other advice takes care of the rest.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

You truly don't understand anything about AC or refrigeration. W/O Freon the compressor overheats or freezes up and gets damaged. And I am a bit insulted now.

There are lots of crappy techs but us good ones do proper checks with gauges and I don't really care if people don't want to spend $$. I give advice to the others who care and see the value in maintenance and are not cynical and believe every tech is worthless or ripping them off.

I am not going to debate this nonsense endlessly either. Case closed.

Last edited by yuri; 05-16-2014 at 08:15 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 266

Sounds like you have already answered your question then. Obviously opinions vary on any given topic, and many companies have very active preventative maintenance departments, so there must be many clients that see value in those services ( or are being fleeced regularly and happy about it. lol) Others prefer the fix it when it breaks approach, as you have heard expressed as well. Take your pick, both have advantages and disadvantages based upon your mindset and length of time you will be in the home etc.

However; comparing your dryer flame sensor to the flame sensor in a furnace is not fair by any stretch. The number of cycles per year a dryer runs compared to a furnace would be like comparing how often you would need to replace the tires on your car verses your kids tricycle. Good luck finding a modern generation furnace that does not need any maintenance for 10-15 years.

I am finding that on average you are looking at maintenance on a modern gas furnace of about every second year (depending on a variety of factors), and quite often people see value in doing maintenance checks on both appliances at the same time, which is less expensive than 2 separate services calls. Maybe in your area that is different ( I would suspect S. California had drastically fewer run cycles for heating equipment than we do here at the north pole. LOL)
HVACDave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
yuri (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input and I'm sorry we got into a over done debate. I figure there are reasons pro and con I just wanted to hear them and that I did. Thanks and lets all return to our own way of dealing with our H/AC units.

I do have one point to add that I have had with the contract. When your under contract you get first calls when you have a service call and we all know that the unit is only going to fail when you want it fixed ASAP. Trust me the only time I had my unit go bad was over 90 outside and just going up from there. I was happy to know I was able to get a repairman out ASAP so it wasn't a long time without AC.

Dave
Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

That is true. I literally have customers that would gladly pay $200 more for a service call when it is 100F which we get or -40F which we get rather than wait 6-8 hours or several days for service. My company does ALL it's warranty and service contract customers first and then the CODs.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
That is true. I literally have customers that would gladly pay $200 more for a service call when it is 100F which we get or -40F which we get rather than wait 6-8 hours or several days for service. My company does ALL it's warranty and service contract customers first and then the CODs.
X2 on the priority calls. We also do the same- service agreement customers come first always. We will even cancel non-service agreement customers if we have to make a decision on which call to go on.

Another advantage is service agreement customers have a relationship with us. We are familiar with the history of their equipment and for us that is far better and we can give better service as apposed to going to some broke down, filthy, cobbled up from god knows who has been "making it work"
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Hvac Pro

Yeah, but in reality there is a lot more money from CODs/sales.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhd42 View Post
Thanks for all the input and I'm sorry we got into a over done debate. I figure there are reasons pro and con I just wanted to hear them and that I did. Thanks and lets all return to our own way of dealing with our H/AC units.

I do have one point to add that I have had with the contract. When your under contract you get first calls when you have a service call and we all know that the unit is only going to fail when you want it fixed ASAP. Trust me the only time I had my unit go bad was over 90 outside and just going up from there. I was happy to know I was able to get a repairman out ASAP so it wasn't a long time without AC.

Dave
Nothing to be sorry about. Many subjects go on forever on here. Lots of opinions good and bad. In the end usually it's all good.

Advertisement