American Standard Heat Pump Question. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

American standard heat pump question.

Hello Everyone,
I have a heat pump problem. The heat pump will not kick on the 2nd set of heat strips. I think it just a bad ODT. The ODT is part number: TAYSTAT250A

Things I have checked. I turned up the ODT to a higher temp 40 degrees. Was at 35'ish as best I could read. Turned on the emergency heat to make sure both sets of heat banks kicked on.

Now I would like to test the ODT with a muiltimeter. What should it read? Not sure how it will read compared to other "switches". I would guess with the outdoor temp colder then it is set for it should be open? So if closed it is bad?

Also can anyone recommend a different INDOOR thermostat for me. I hate the American Standard ACONT401AN21MA.

I have a American Standard TWE037E13FB1 air handler variable speed with 19KW heat strips (BAYHTR1419BRKAC).

I would like to run it in 2 or 3 stages with or without a outdoor stat. 1st stage just be the HP for the 50 degree days. 2 stage would be the heat pump with 1 set of heat strips. And of course 3rd stage is both heat strips and heat pump.

I am looking into the honeywell FocusPro 5000. Waiting for a email from them.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

SS laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

A vision PRO IAQ would be what you want. A 5000 series will not provide enough stages.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
A vision PRO IAQ would be what you want. A 5000 series will not provide enough stages.
I don't want to much of a stat. Maybe just do 2 stages like I have now. Then I think the 5000 will work. Any help on the ODT problem?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

By the time you buy a new ODT you might as well get a stat that does everything you want and delete the old analog ODT. Just my opinion.

A TH8320 would do what you want just only give you 2 stages instead of three and you can still add a ODT to give better control over the operation.

ON to your ODT problem. When you set the stat to E heat did both banks run? How is your current ODT wired in. I can't tell you what it should read with a volt meter unless I know how it is wired in as those were a field installed add-on. Some installers put them in with different wiring methods.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #5

When on emergency heat both banks run. I think the ODT is hooked to the X2/W2 and W1. I will look again. There are a few wires in there. I know in the furance there are 2 white on W1 and 2 black on W2. I will check it again and write it down this time.

I will see if I can find that stat. Also found a aftermarket white rogers or goodman ODT for 40'ish online. Will any ODT work? Or does it have to be american standard or trane?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

any stat should work. as long as they have normally open contacts that close on fall

Advertisement