American Standard Freedom 90 Won't Blow - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

American Standard Freedom 90 Won't Blow

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone has resolved this. I have an American Standard Freedom 90. Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat. From what I can tell all wiring is correct between the thermostat and unit.

Unit was cooling fine. Suddenlt it will not turn on. The first few times, removing the air cleaner (Aprilaire Media Air Cleaner) and replacing would allow the unit to kick on. Now, it wont run at all.

Thermostat will click when turning A/C on (yes desired temp is set lower than actual). I've flipped all the fuse switches. I also checked the fuse on the White-Rodgers Intell-Ignition board inside of the unit.

One strange thing is thermostat wire had an extra connection in the unit (not at thermostat). On unit board, there is (Y)ellow, (B)lue, (W)hite, (R)ed, (G)reen, and (C)Blue. All are connected correctly except the Blue wire which is going into the terminal designated (C). There is no blue wire at the thermostat. Either way, A/C was working fine before.

Anyone have any ideas? What else can I check? Thanks!

Advertisement

JBG420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG420 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone has resolved this. I have an American Standard Freedom 90. Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat. From what I can tell all wiring is correct between the thermostat and unit.

Unit was cooling fine. Suddenlt it will not turn on. The first few times, removing the air cleaner (Aprilaire Media Air Cleaner) and replacing would allow the unit to kick on. Now, it wont run at all.

Thermostat will click when turning A/C on (yes desired temp is set lower than actual). I've flipped all the fuse switches. I also checked the fuse on the White-Rodgers Intell-Ignition board inside of the unit.

One strange thing is thermostat wire had an extra connection in the unit (not at thermostat). On unit board, there is (Y)ellow, (B)lue, (W)hite, (R)ed, (G)reen, and (C)Blue. All are connected correctly except the Blue wire which is going into the terminal designated (C). There is no blue wire at the thermostat. Either way, A/C was working fine before.

Anyone have any ideas? What else can I check? Thanks!

Is that blue common wire hooked up in the air handler? Have you checked the fuse on the control board in the air handler? I think there's one there.

Does the control board have any led lights on it? Usually you can see the lights through a window in the door of the air handler but if you take the door(s) off then you need to push inthe door switch to allow power to the board. There should be a legend on the inside of that door which will tell you what any possible flash code the led lights are giving stand for.

Try that.

If the board does have an led light but it's not coming on, check that fuse.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Did you change the t-stat? The C is the common wire, It is for 5 wires t-stat that uses the unit to power the t-stat. The t-stat that you have is 4 wires, which uses battery (change the battery if it is over a year), that is why you don't have a C on it.You can take it off of the board if you want to.

1. Check to make sure you have power to the unit. Open the covers and press in the door safety switch . there should be a red light. If you see the red light, then there is power, if not, check the breaker and the 3 amp fuse inside the unit board. If all are good, go to step 2
2. Go to the unit board, Get a jumper wire, or any electrical wire and connect the terminal R and Y on the unit board together (Make sure you unplug the unit while doing this ). Put both covers back on and plug the unit. If the system works, then you have a bad t-stat or wire problems. If it doesn't, then let me know what it is doing.

Last edited by Mr.HVAC; 08-26-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Mr. HVAC - thanks for replying. When connecting a wire between R and Y on the board, the unit kicks right on. There is what looks like a resister with small plunger connected (EZ Trap Inc). This was plugged into an overfill 3/4" pvc pipe. It had a red and white wire connected to it. I poured a pitcher of water into that tube and after about 2 qts the pump kicked on. Having the red and white wire disconnected, I connected them both together and electrical taped them. The unit is now running. I will try to find a new part today. What else can you suggest? Do you think the tstat or wires to tstat are bad?
JBG420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270
Question

Primary float switch. The drain was clogged, water backed up and raised the plunger thus opening the circuit to condenser. It works.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I guest you found the problem, I doubt it that it is the T-stat. Whichever you connect the two wires together with electrical tape is faulty. Replace that part. Make sure you rewire it back like the way it was. (For Safety reasons)

Last edited by Mr.HVAC; 08-29-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Mr.HVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

i am thinking the filter is plugged up with pot smoke ( i mean hey, the loser has 420 in his name after all) and this is causing a serious air flow problem that the loser is blowing off because he is to stoned to recognize the true problem.

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote