Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #1

Share |

American Standard Freedom 80 - slow heating

Hello,
Somewhere I missed the buttons to say hello/thank you at the introduction page - so Hello and Thank you for the tutorials.

We have a new as of March 2011 split system 5 ton/16 SEER two stage furnace and air conditioner. We live in Phoenix AZ. During the summer when we ran the air conditioning, it worked great. The blower made noise like our old unit, not roaring but definitely lots of fan sound the sense of air moving. Now at with mornings in the 30s, the furnace kicks on when the house gets below 65F or at 7:15AM when it is set to go to 68F. We know the furnace is working because the thermostat goes click, the house isn't freezing and if you stand under a vent, warm air comes gently flowing out. That's it. It takes well over an hour to go from 65 to 68. And shouldn't we hear something like a fan running or feel warm air blowing out of the vent? Am I just being picky or should the air handler be moving a lot more hot air?
We had the installers out but they didn't find anything wrong, but they didn't say what I described above was normal. But they went away without giving an indication they would check further into and we haven't heard from them.

whlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Post brand and model number of furnace.

Its possible its only running in first stage.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlytle View Post
Hello,
Somewhere I missed the buttons to say hello/thank you at the introduction page - so Hello and Thank you for the tutorials.

We have a new as of March 2011 split system 5 ton/16 SEER two stage furnace and air conditioner. We live in Phoenix AZ. During the summer when we ran the air conditioning, it worked great. The blower made noise like our old unit, not roaring but definitely lots of fan sound the sense of air moving. Now at with mornings in the 30s, the furnace kicks on when the house gets below 65F or at 7:15AM when it is set to go to 68F. We know the furnace is working because the thermostat goes click, the house isn't freezing and if you stand under a vent, warm air comes gently flowing out. That's it. It takes well over an hour to go from 65 to 68. And shouldn't we hear something like a fan running or feel warm air blowing out of the vent? Am I just being picky or should the air handler be moving a lot more hot air?
We had the installers out but they didn't find anything wrong, but they didn't say what I described above was normal. But they went away without giving an indication they would check further into and we haven't heard from them.
still in the first year? you should be on the phone to the installing contractor, not here.............you spent a helluva lot of money to get the new unit.......i am sure it came with at least a 1 year warrenty?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

your stat anticipates what temp you need at the chosen time might want to set the time earlier so you don't listen for the fan at that 7:15AM 3 degrees doesn't seem like much but to get to 68F it could.the cooling runs HI speed fan in the summer sure you notice it,now being in heating season and either LO or Med LO in the winter why slow...air takes longer to heat up so the slower is used..during the summer hi speed allows for as many air cycles across the evap to remove that people/day heat.if you want run the heat with the stat set in FAN-ON which will be hi speed you'll see sure the air is banging but your not going to heat up as fast compared toa slower air thru the Heat X..if you have wake/leave/return/sleep as day modes...the "leave" one is effected by the days sun swinging on the house might cheat the temp down there
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

http://www.trane.com/CPS/Uploads/Use...2_01012011.pdf

Some questions that come to mind include...

Does the air feel warmer when you increase the heat setting?
Is this a 2 stage stat?
Is it configured for 2 stage heat?
Is W2 connected at the stat and furnace?
What are dip switch 1 and 2 set to at the furnace?

As Ace has already posted, your installing contractor should resolve this problem.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

Near as I can tell from the writing on the yellow copy of the invoice, we have an American Standard model AUD2C080B94Vunreadable air handler. So far I haven't found a model number that matches that on the web. The unit is so big that they put it in the attic over the garage and then it extends into the master bedroom closet. I will get up there as soon as I can an look for the printed labels and the circuits. Also I will call the installers next week. My wife called them last time, I was out of town when they came out.
whlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #7

An American standard AUDC2 is the same as a Trane TUDC2. The 080 is 80,000 BTU input. The manuals usually show it as *UDC2.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote