Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times

Hi,

My furnace was coming on and then the burners were turning off after 5 minutes and the LED was blinking 4 times. I found the codes and wiring inside the panel and it says that it is the "high limit device". I changed the device in this picture and now here is what happens.

When I have my thermostat set below the current temp I have a nice consistent slow blinking light. When I turn it up above the current temp, the fan comes on, but now my burners do not come on at all and the LED is blinking 4 times. Any thoughts?

The furnace model# ADD100C945D0

Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Furnace sml.bmp (96.3 KB, 904 views)

Last edited by robertlmills; 11-29-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: removing html that got added and made it so you could not read.
robertlmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

a high limit is a safety device installed in your furnace to keep you from burning your house down. It is located in the air stream @ the heat exchanger. When the limit trips or "opens" it means that something is restricting the air flow. The most common culprit is a dirty filter and or a dirty evaporator coil.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #3

You were helping me on my other thread. Thank you.

The filters were the start of the problem and have been changed. I have no idea how to find the coil. If I took a picture of my furnace, could you help me?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

Attached are the pictures of the full furnace with the covers on, the bottom section with the cover off and the top with section with the cover off.

Again any help letting me know where the coil is that I would need to clean is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-full.jpg   American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-bottom.jpg   American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-top.jpg  

Last edited by robertlmills; 11-29-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: pictures were reveresed
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 510

That looks like a downflow furnace, the evaporator coil (used for cooling) would be below the furnace if it is present.

Have you reset the power switch to the furnace after replacing the dirty air filter?
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #6

there is one thing i want you to look at......you have a counter flow furnace.....in other words the blower is at the top and the burners are at the bottom,I have seen many many many MANY times were on Trane and American standard counter flow furnaces were the glue that holds the blower compartment insulation is sub par, it dries out and the insulation gets sucked up against the blower on both sides......causing limits to trip....there are limits or i should say, there is a limit in the blower compartment on your unit..I cant see into the blower area in the pictures that you have posted. If its not an issue then you will need to access the evaporator underneath the furnace and see if It is plugged. What part of the country do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,346

there is a secondary limit mounted on top of or the back or side of the fan housing and it may have a red manual reset button which needs pressing.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

@HarleyRider: I'm in Oregon and starting to wonder if I am as far as I can go. Under the furnace is sheet metal held together with screws, but things are coming out and sealed off. I'm probably going to have to call another professional. I'm avoiding it because the first one that came out changed a filter and charged me $120 and obviously didn't correct the problem.

As for a reset button, their isn't a visible one on the outside of the three sides I can see and I can't get to the back since it is flush against the wall.

Is there another picture that I could take and post that might give me a chance of not having to call someone?

Again, I appreciate all of the help.

Rob

Last edited by robertlmills; 11-30-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlmills View Post
@HarleyRider: I'm in Oregon and starting to wonder if I am as far as I can go. Under the furnace is sheet metal held together with screws, but things are coming out and sealed off. I'm probably going to have to call another professional. I'm avoiding it because the first one that came out changed a filter and charged me $120 and obviously didn't correct the problem.

As for a reset button, their isn't a visible one on the outside of the three sides I can see and I can't get to the back since it is flush against the wall.

Is there another picture that I could take and post that might give me a chance of not having to call someone?

Again, I appreciate all of the help.

Rob

in the bottom picture is the blower area......turn off the power, remove the circut board and mounting bracket, then remove the flue pipe. You will be left looking at the cover to the blower compartment, remove that and then you will be looking at the blower. On either side of the blower is insulation that acts as sound deadening material. Is this firmly attached or is it "flapping in the breeze"? If it is lose remove it by removing the two screws from the out side of the cabinet, this will release the two 1" strips of metal that was keeping the insulation from getting sucked all the way into your blower. Now look for the limit(s) in the blower housing and ohm them out to see if they are open or closed.

Let me know what you find.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #10

I will look in the next couple of hours and post back.

THANK YOU!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #11

I removed the circut board and mounting bracket and then remove the flue pipe. The attached picture is what I am now looking down at.

I didn't find any insulation or the limit(s) in the blower housing.
Attached Thumbnails
American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-looking-down-blower.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #12

I more panel.......your almost there !
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

It looks like I am in and the insulation is fine (see picture). In the other picture, is that the limit in the blower housing I need to check?
Attached Thumbnails
American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-insulation.jpg   American Standard Freedom 80 LED Light Blinks 4 Times-high-limit.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

yes the insulation looks good,the only way to check that limit is with a meter or a continuity tester, how about the insulation on the other side of the blower?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #15

The insulation on the other side looks the same.

I went and got a meter. When I put the meter on the new other limit part it comes up zero. When I put it on this part it comes up with a number larger than 0, but I don't know what to put the tester on. It has options for 200, 2k, 20k, 200k, 2m under OHM.

Tags
american standard, blinks 4 times, freedom 80, led light