American Standard Freedom 80 - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

american standard freedom 80

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 gas furnace that was ignigtor what seemed like only when it felt like it. Sometimes it wouldn't ignite at all and the fan would kick on anyway and blow out cold air. We changed the motherboard thinking it would fix the problem. We ran it at 75 degrees and it would ignite on the second try everytime. Then because we don't want a high gas bill we turned it down to 70. All of a sudden it went back to sometimes igniting, and other times not as well as the fan would sometimes run anyway and blow out cold air.

We decided to change our thermostat because we were afraid that had something to do with it, plus I wanted a new one anyway. Now the ignitor doesn't ignite at all and when it times out the fan kicks on and blows cold air. Any suggestions on where to go from here, and does anyone have a manual for this furnace they can email me?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Advertisement

mangosvieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

are you getting a spark and just not igniting should of held off on that stat,for now remove the stat and jump R to W for a full heat call now go don to the furnace and work the 115v toggle shut off switch to do starts...any dip switches on the new board.grab the ignitor with a piece of steel wool and clean it a couple of times...find the contact point on the board that feed it you need to see if the board on a restart is sending out 120v to spark the gas for the pilot.

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I kind of figured we should've held off on the stat, but the guy that's been working on it felt that might be what was wrong. When my husband wakes up I'll have him try the things you've suggested. Thanks
mangosvieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

if the guy that was working on it,and seen the same problem with that R/W jump the stat is good ...no problem
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,104

DO NOT clean the ignitor with steel wool, DON't touch the ignitor with your hands, only touch the porcelain. You do NOT have a spark ignitor. FIRST thing to do is check the diagnostic code on the control board while the stat is calling for heat and the furnace is acting up.