Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

American Standard blower blocked?

Need help please.

I have an American standard Freedom 90 single stage heating/cooling unit. I'm not getting air in the living area. I can feel the air being blown out from the side of the unit. Is there something blocking the air from going up (like a trapdoor or something internally)?

Thanks for your help in this sweltering heat.

needtocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Check if you have zone dumpers control.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

frozen coil ....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
The one

Check ur dampers at the air handler or on the a/c vent itself
Jone32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #5

The dampers in my living room are always open and curtains around them would blow around with the airflow; now they're pretty still.

Frozen coil... how to fix this please? If I can't, I need to make appointment with HVAC guy before the temp really picks up.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Frozen coil is a sign of an air flow restriction such as a dirty return air filter and/or being low on refrigerant which could mean your system has a refrigerant leak.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

I cleaned out the air filter.

Low refrigerant - This is a 4 year old unit. Can it run out that easy? I don't see any leaks around it.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

It can run out in 10 minutes depending on how bad the leak is.

Most times you won't be able to see the leak, a leak detector will be needed.

Btw, best to turn the system off to prevent any further possible damage, especially to the compressor. Plus a tech won't be able to perform any diagnosis with the coil frozen up. If the system has been running you can go outside and check the copper line into the condenser and see if that's frozen. Also look inside the condenser at the compressor and see if that's frozen. Tell tale sign of a leak and how bad it is.

Don't turn the system on to find out if it freezes up though, and if it's been on shut it off. Call a tech.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #9

You will seldom see a AC leak, if its a big one you may get a discoloration.

You can see the ice in the unit most cases.

The key test is let the system off for a while so any ice can melt. Then run it in fan only mode there should be a switch on the thermostat that lets you turn on the blower without the heat or the AC. In most cases of frozen coils you get air for a while and then the ice blocks it. If you get no air no matter what then you need to look for a physical problem. Could be anything from a closed damper to a disconnected line. Follow the duct from the air handler to the end point.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Ok so now I had the unit shut for the entire night and now turned on only the fan and the airflow to the room is good.

Can I turn on the AC now or wait for some more time?

Any ideas as to what was wrong? I have set up an appointment for a tech; I can cancel it if the issue is solvable

THanks
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #11

coppied from a google search....

This should help you to understand why an evap coil (inside coil for ac system) would freeze up. some of them can be a diy fix... some cant...

A frozen evaporator coil is one of the most common issues for air conditioners and heat pumps during the cooling season. Use the following check list prior to contacting a licensed and qualifed HVAC Service Technician.
There a many reasons an evaporator or AC coil will freeze; ( If you have a frozen evaporator coil, shut off your system immediately as prolonged operation can and will damage the compressor.)
  • Restricted air flow across the coil will allow the temperature of the coil to drop below 32 degrees F and cause the humidity/condensate to freeze.
    • Check the air filter to ensure it is clean. If not, change it. If this is all that is wrong, shut the air conditioner off at the thermostat and turn the fan to the "on" position. This will keep the blower fan on and will assist in thawing the evaporator coil.
    • Check the evaporator coil on the intake side and be sure it is clean. If it is dirty and or clogged, then you need to clean it. Be sure to use the the correct cleaner and brushes to ensure a proper cleaning. DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH. When using a plastic brush be sure to brush only parallel to the fins. You can bend the fins very easily and this will resrict air flow.
    • Check your home for any blocked cold air return grilles. There are instances where a low placed cold air return grille is blocked by a piece of furniture and this restricts the air flow. Remove any restrictions and allow the evaporator coil to thaw prior to starting operation again.
    • Check your home for too many supply registers that are blocked or shut off. There are instances where a home owner has shut off too many in order to force air to one part of a home. The rule of thumb for most homes is each register provides around 80 CFM to 100 CFM of air flow. Each tonnage of air conditioning requires 350 CFM to 400 CFM. If you have a 2 Ton air conditioner, then you require 800 CFM of air flow. If you have 12 vents in the home, you need at least 8 to 10 of them unrestricted.
    • Check the blower motor for proper operation. If the blowe motor is not running, or is set too slow, the coil will freeze.
    • Check to be sure the outdoor unit shuts off when the thermostat is satisfied and is no longer "calling" for cooling. A stuck or welded shut contactor (relay) will keep the outdoor unit running all the time. Without the indoor unit blower motor in operation there is no air flow and the evaporator coil can freeze.
    • Lack of refrigerant or a low refrigerant charge is also a symptom of a frozen evaporator coil. Cotact your local HVAC contractor to charge and conduct a refrigerant leak test. The easiest and most accurate is by using an electronic leak tester. Sometimes it is time to replace either the evap coils or the outdoor unit.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on what you find!!!!
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

You can leave it on fan as without the compressor running (outside unit) there is no chance of the system freezing up or doing any damage. It definitely appears as if you're low on refrigerant, two ways to handle this:

1.) Tech can simply add some and see how long it lasts, might be until tomorrow or it might be for another 4 years

2.) He can find and fix the leak which may either include a warranty part such as the evaporator coil (if under 4 years old) or simply by brazing the leak closed if that is possible. Could also be as simple as tightening a nut.

Is your system the new 410-A or is R-22 refrigerant?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #13

Checking off each of the points bobinphx made,

All points except the Evaporator coil and the leak are fine. Will need to find what the heck is the evaporator coil.

Doc, In that case, I'll leave the appointment the way it is. Mine uses R-22 (says so on the unit)

Cheers